Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pins- Is it just me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pins-just-me-t237180.html)

yel 12-22-2013 07:12 AM

leatheflea .....i was there thursday they are on sale for $.99....score bought one for all the girls in the sewing group

mighty 12-22-2013 07:33 AM

Awesome idea Mary I think I will make myself one of those perfect for all sewing!!! I now use red snappers and do not pin to the frame anymore.

qwerty 12-22-2013 12:17 PM

Harbor freight

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 6468365)
Here's what I use, you can get them at Harbor freight, or any auto and hardware store. $3 bucks is what I paid for mine. I don't arrange the pins like this, they do it all on their own. I love it!

Thanks Leatherflea I just ordered one of the 6 inch parts holders. Your pictures sold me on it haha.

leatheflea 12-22-2013 01:32 PM

Your all very welcome! It made my day that you were impressed and helped. Hope you like it as much as I do!

MacThayer 12-22-2013 03:13 PM

This may be overkill, but I have a small pillow insert that I've covered with flannel, and I use that for a pin cushion when I need a lot of pins. It's flat, so it sits almost anywhere, and I put a loop on I can also choose to hang it from something. I kept tipping over the plastic boxes with the pins in, and that made quite a mess to clean up. That's when I made my "pillow pincushion." Love it!

Dollyo 12-23-2013 04:28 AM

Years ago, my DMIL gave me a mechanic's magnetic flat 8" square for my pins. She also gave me a magnetic wrist pin holder that closes w/velcro. She was way ahead of the rest of us.

Edie 12-23-2013 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=MaryStoaks;6468105]I made a magnetic wrist cushion. I just threw it together, not pretty but it works. I find that it makes a lot of difference when pinning the quilt parts to the frame. Much easier![/QU

I love your idea. Am I correct in assuming that you use Velcro to hold it on your wrist? I think I could do something like that. Also, I totally envy your hands and your straight fingers. Mine are all catty-whompus, arthritis, but I am still sewing.

Edie

MaryStoaks 12-23-2013 04:45 AM

[QUOTE=Edie;6470144]

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks (Post 6468105)
I made a magnetic wrist cushion. I just threw it together, not pretty but it works. I find that it makes a lot of difference when pinning the quilt parts to the frame. Much easier![/QU

I love your idea. Am I correct in assuming that you use Velcro to hold it on your wrist? I think I could do something like that. Also, I totally envy your hands and your straight fingers. Mine are all catty-whompus, arthritis, but I am still sewing.

Edie

Yes, velcroe closure. It's just a tube with the 2" magnet sewn in and vlcroe on the back.

lclang 12-23-2013 04:46 AM

One of my favorite sewing friends had a large pincushion made from a stuffed sock and tied in a knot. It wasn't very pretty but sure held a ton of pins!

w1613s 12-23-2013 06:33 AM

The comments about wrist pin cushions made me smile. All of you who successfully use them have my awe and respect. When I have tried to use wrist pin cushions, I kept stabbing myself in the wrist. I finally decided I was sewing, pinning, whatever and not looking at where the pins were headed and the chances that I would ever look were between slim and nil.

So, keeping my pins in order was finally solved by a huge, round pin cushion my mother made for her mother-in-law before i was born. It is very tightly filled with hair and metal shavings and covered by a piece of upholstery fabric.

Bottom line: keep trying until you find what works for you. And to those of you who are like me and do the stab yourself trick, well, if it is any consolation, you are not alone.

Happy holidays!

Pat