Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pins, pins, pins! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pins-pins-pins-t208524.html)

Old hen 12-15-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Old hen (Post 5722172)
I've been searching for half an hour and to no avail! Which pins do the best job when piecing? I don't need advice on how to choose a pin, just tell me what pin works best for you. I've tried many, but still think there must be something that works really well. Help!

Thanks, everyone! I am OC, and want everything to be perfect, including points, seams, etc. I pin everything, and am looking for the right pin for every occasion. :)

Jingle 12-15-2012 05:31 PM

Thin pins are my favorites, unfortunately most pins in the stores are like spikes. Too thick and not very sharp. Most of my favorites have been hit by the needle too many times and are very rough.

Mariposa 12-15-2012 05:39 PM

I use silk pins with the small metal heads mostly.

mcfay 12-15-2012 06:41 PM

I like the small thin pins with the different colored heads. I think they are called dressmaker pins. They are a slim pin and go in really easily. I use the plastic flower head pins when pinning the quilt back to the quilting table.

I have several boxes of the pins with metal heads. Don't like them, I also have a lot of the long yellow quilting pins hardly ever use them, then I have a lot of T pins. Never use them anymore.

psumom 12-15-2012 07:07 PM

Glass head pins!

sewingsuz 12-15-2012 07:13 PM

Can you please show me what the clips look like.

Originally Posted by janRN (Post 5722291)
I've almost stopped using pins. I switched to the red binding clips and find my seams lay flatter when sewing. I do use a long, sharp flower head pin to match the points of triangles (put straight in, perpendicular, to the block) then put a clip on each side close to the pin, remove the pin, then sew. The clips slide off easily as I get to them and I'm not pulling pins out and moving the fabric. The clips also have a 1/4" mark on them so I can double check my seam allowance.
I primarily paper piece and was bending pins and distorting my pieces until I started using the little clips. Now I use them even when not paper piecing.

virtualbernie 12-15-2012 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 5722386)
For piecing, I like Clover 2507. The are very fine and therefore more fragile than
most other pins. I wouldn't use it on heavy fabric or multiple layers. They bend
easily and are pricey but I wouldn't be without them.

I use those too! I also use the flower head pins because they were thinner than the others I have used but the Clover ones are great! They don't distort the seams like some of the others do. I got mine from JHittle.

Aurora 12-16-2012 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mary O (Post 5722220)
silk pins with glass heads...go in smooth

Me too! They stay sharp and the heads do not melt if you iron over them. I have been using them for over 30 years.

MaryAnnMc 12-16-2012 05:22 AM

I don't pin either... I find Elmer's washable School Glue works better for anything pins used to do. And I never stick myself with glue!

zennia 12-16-2012 05:41 AM

I use to use the yellow head pins without much luck. One day my instructor suggested I use a smaller shaft pin and I have been very happy with the results.