Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pinwheels - discouraged (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pinwheels-discouraged-t239766.html)

Quilter 65 01-27-2014 07:32 PM

MSQC has a tutorial about making pinwheels. I think it is slick and works well.

NJ Quilter 01-28-2014 04:10 AM

I, too, make my HST's oversize and then trim. I use the 45 deg. line on my ruler on the seam line of the block and then measure/trim. I also press my seams open which I find helps tremendously lining up the centers.

luvTooQuilt 01-28-2014 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by laurlync (Post 6538506)
Since you are making them oversize and trimming down, just be sure that your seams are centered in the corners of your HST's before you trim. Also be sure your seams are pressed so that they lock together when you get ready to sew them in pairs and also when the pairs are joined to make the pinwheels.

One other suggestion is to sew your first pair from the outer edge to the pinwheel center and butt the next pair up starting with the pinwheel center and sewing to the outer edge. Leave the two sets attached. When you line them up to sew the final seam, the thread will keep the center together as if they were pinned.

I hope this all makes sense! I'm sure your will get lots of other helpful hints as well.

Good luck!

What she said.. sew from center of Pinwheel to end and make sure they nest..

Jingle 01-28-2014 05:25 AM

I am working on a pinwheel quilt now. I do it like Jenny from the MQSC. Using two 10" squares, sew 1/4" seam all around, cut on diagonal both ways, arrange into a pinwheel and sew together in a row. Do one block at a time. Makes big pretty pinwheels. I have made smaller ones too.

Rose Marie 01-28-2014 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just remember with Jenny,s method you end up with bias edges.
Much better to draw an x and sew down both sides of lines, cut in half then on lines to get 8 HSTs.
Also the best investment I made was Quilt In A Days triangle sq up ruler. One cut to sq up.

TerryQuilter 01-28-2014 08:32 AM

My last quilt had 192 HST! I used the Elmer's glue to match my seams and have never had my seams/points match up so well. Takes a while, but well worth it. Want to try the E. Burns method for the center bulk, but I'm afraid my seams will come undone.

petpainter 01-29-2014 04:21 AM

I have nothing to contribute except a BIG thanks for all the great info. Everyone is the best on this board, and I will use your tips when I do a quilt with HST's!

SimpsonFrances 01-29-2014 05:50 AM

Use a Bloc-Loc ruler to trim down. It makes sure your diagonal is right on corners. Little pricey-but worth it if you like working with HST's.

Edie 01-29-2014 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by laurlync (Post 6538506)
Since you are making them oversize and trimming down, just be sure that your seams are centered in the corners of your HST's before you trim. Also be sure your seams are pressed so that they lock together when you get ready to sew them in pairs and also when the pairs are joined to make the pinwheels.

One other suggestion is to sew your first pair from the outer edge to the pinwheel center and butt the next pair up starting with the pinwheel center and sewing to the outer edge. Leave the two sets attached. When you line them up to sew the final seam, the thread will keep the center together as if they were pinned.

I hope this all makes sense! I'm sure your will get lots of other helpful hints as well.

Good luck!

I love makiing pinwheels. Not only do I iron the seams, lock them, I also pin them on the sewing line. Then you have every based covered and you can do nothing less than a home run!!!!!! You could also do larger blocks like 12-16-18" blocks and work downward as you get better. I love the 12" blocks, have them pretty much, not perfect by any means, but pretty much locked in and after a few more quilts my next objective will be the Farmer's Wife quilt. I believe those are 6" blocks, lots of pinwheels. Edie

FoxyLady 01-29-2014 07:55 AM

I have found that a washable glue stick works wonders. Just put the tiniest dab of the glue stick on the seam line where the seams meet, press down with you thumb or finger, and voila! it holds the fabric in place while you sew. I learned this trick from someone on the board. Thanks to the person that posted it.