Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   PK Lusetti (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pk-lusetti-t179846.html)

PK Lusetti 02-18-2012 11:42 AM

PK Lusetti

Hi everyone. I have been searching for someone to make some quilts for me. I have material from clothes from my family and would like two quilts to be made for me. I have no idea the cost of the endeavor, but if someone is willing to take on the task I would be grateful for information and communication. Thank you so much!

AzQuiltHag 02-18-2012 12:08 PM

PK, Visit any LQS in your area. Most shops have quilters looking for work like you are describing. Do not be shocked by the cost. Custom quilt making is not inexpensive and the process is labor intensive. The advantage of working with a local quilter is face to face meeting improves communication. Good luck with finding the right quilter for your needs.

dublb 02-18-2012 01:11 PM

I hope you find someone who will help you!
I agree with AzQuiltHag about checking out your local Shop for help,& about the cost. Quilting takes a long time, & time = money! A-lot of quilters don't do it for customers because people who don't quilt have no idea how much goes into making a quilt, so don't be surprised if you have a hard time finding someone to help you. Not impossible just hard. Good luck.

aborning 02-19-2012 04:16 PM

Keep in mind that you will also have to add in the cost of having it long arm quilted--unless you plan on doing that yourself. I just quilted a quilt on my longarm that was a memory quilt--just as you are talking about here-- and it was very unique and the receipient loved it when it was done.

hperttula123 02-19-2012 06:38 PM

The cost of doing a custom quilt with clothes is higher because they have to put stabilizer on the backs of all the clothing. It does add alot of time to the quilt making itself. You can check on etsy.com and do a search for tshirt quilts to get an estimate on how much it will cost. Also, you would be able to give someone a picture of what exactly you want done with them.

tjradj 02-19-2012 06:46 PM

I agree that your local quilt store is a good place to start. Also check other fabric stores, as some will have a box of business cards at the till that you can look through. As someone who does make quilts to order, it is very important to have clear communication with your quilter so there won't be any surprises. Yes, it will cost you. But you will end up with heirlooms that mean a lot to you. Good luck.

ragamuffin 02-19-2012 09:44 PM

Your post does not say what area of the world you live. I have a Amish friend in Pa. who is doing #5 or #6 quilt for a retired man out of his shirts. He wanted his initialed pocket put on and even some of the placket front w/button. These are for his daughters. He comes on his motorcycle every couple weeks to see how she is progressing. She charges around $550 or $600 and this is finished hand quilted and bound. A lot of people would charge a lot more per quilt but he said money is no object because he wanted them for the girls.