Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Placemats & Table Runners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/placemats-table-runners-t187539.html)

DogHouseMom 04-28-2012 07:56 PM

Placemats & Table Runners

I'm excited!!

We are FINALLY re-decorating the family room/dining room. This is a project EIGHT YEARS in the making and required a LOT of repair work before the decorating could commence.

Last week we purchased a solid oak dining table.

On the way home my husband said "that table is going to be the last you're going to get so we had better take good care of it - that means we can't put plates etc directly onto the table. I guess we'll need to get some place mats."

"Get" placemats???

SILLY MAN!!!

I told him I'll MAKE them! And as a bonus ... I'll make several different kinds to have as spares when some get soiled. But ....

.... I'll need the matching buffet to store them in :)

So excited ... I've got place mats and table runners that I need to make!

Scissor Queen 04-28-2012 08:10 PM

Cool! And there are probably hundreds and hundred of patterns and ideas for place mats and coordinating table runners! a lot of table runners are the perfect size for my hutch so have them for just about every holiday and season now.

Rose L 04-28-2012 09:09 PM

Can I suggest that you use the batting made for pot holders etc. or buy the protective pads for the table? I have a table with a very fine finish and the heat from bowls and plates of very hot foods went through our regular place mats and melted the layered, hand applied finish on the table. It's been over 25 years now since I got that table but I regret every day that I didn't buy the pads to protect it. The long sideboard that goes with it is pristine which just makes the table look worse. Sigh. At my age, I doubt I'll ever see another new dinning suite either.

PaperPrincess 04-29-2012 04:23 AM

I agree with the suggestions: 1) use insulbright batting to protect the table and 2) you NEED that matching Buffet!

DogHouseMom 04-29-2012 04:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestion of using insulbright. Hadn't thought about it. 99% of the time our plates are not hot (and I have silicone pads that use for casserole dishes/bowls that are brought to the table hot) but *sometimes* we do like our plates heated in the oven prior to dinner (steaks being the #1 reason).

Tartan 04-29-2012 05:13 AM

Oh isn't it a shame that you will be forced to make placemats and a tablerunner.:) Congratulations on your new table and buffet!

TanyaL 04-29-2012 05:14 AM

Really, really recommend the table pads. I got mine in the early 70's. The top of the pad looks like wood and I just leave it on the table. When I do take it off the finish on the table is completely unblemished. For family I put place mats on top of the pad. I have had to worry what the kids or husband set on top of the table as the pad is there. When special company comes the table looks like we purchased it yesterday.