Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Places to donate quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/places-donate-quilts-t293128.html)

greaterexp 12-06-2017 06:07 PM

Places to donate quilts

Our little quilting group at church has been making quilts for a ministry helping girls coming out of sex trafficking. They have all they need for awhile, so we are looking at other outlets. I thought about foster kids, but would love to hear suggestions.

Sandra in Minnesota 12-06-2017 06:33 PM

Some local fire and police departments would take them. They give to kids coming out of homes that are in distress and also fires.

Jingle 12-06-2017 06:53 PM

My Daughter and I donate to Family Services, they give to kids in Foster care. They do an annual Christmas Party each Dec. They need about 450 or so.

Maybe a women's shelter for abused women and kids.

Our Grandson is a Deputy in our county, he didn't need any quilts. Social Workers come and pick up the kids.

GEMRM 12-06-2017 06:54 PM

Cancer treatment centres are another option. Children's Aid (or whatever that service is called in your area).
Children's hospital.
Those are the first few places that come to mind in addition to fire/police as noted by Sandra in Minnesota.

QuiltE 12-06-2017 07:36 PM

Nursing homes, seniors centres, retirement homes and hospice homes are some other good possibilities.

Some Ronald McDonald Houses are happy to accept.

As always, be sure to speak to these groups first, before making your quilts.
Some have strict requirements for quilts they receive.
Better to know before you stitch ... than to be disappointed by assuming they will be welcomed with open arms, than to discover their generosity is turned away.

DJ 12-06-2017 07:57 PM

I donate to Project Linus. They do the work of locating the charities to give them to.

quiltingshorttimer 12-06-2017 09:13 PM

my guild does lap quilts for the local cancer support group and also does "disaster quilts' for any person in area that looses house due to fire, flood, etc.

mamagrande 12-06-2017 11:35 PM

Our guild makes small lap quilts to donate to the VA hospital, for men and for women. We also donate to a burn center retreat, for a women's shelter and also for the local police.

pocoellie 12-07-2017 04:30 AM

Before you donate to fire departments, police department or nursing homes, talk to someone in charge and find out how the quilts will be handed out. Our small quilt group donated some to our local fire trucks and Sheriff's vehicles and they were never handed out. Our local nursing home here, if the resident dies and the family doesn't want the quilt, they toss it in the garbage, this is why I won't donate to them.

ArlaJo 12-07-2017 07:12 AM

Our group mad 120 lap size quilts for a local kindergarten for sleep mats. They belong to the child after the school year ends. It was a fun project.