Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Places of Inspiration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/places-inspiration-t4662.html)

Belinda 02-22-2008 11:18 AM

Last year while flying to Las Vegas with DH I was looking out the window of the airplane and thought that all of the beautiful colors of the southwest landscape would sure make a gorgeous quilt. I haven't taken those thoughts any futher, but I would love to in the future. :)

Rebecca Chambley 02-22-2008 12:22 PM

I loved those pictures. I wonder why they go for the differnt blues, I wonder what promted them to do that. Gosh that would be a very neat landscape quilt. That would truly be a place to visit and see. All the blues and then some of the doors and windows have that scrollie type wrought iron in them. That is such a artsy little town,,,Thanks........

Izy 02-22-2008 12:35 PM

Apparently the blue is made from indigo and it varies depending how much they mix, all the painting is done by the ladies who are not allowed to climb ladders as the men may see there ankles (plus they don't wear underwear!!) and if you have hairy legs its supposed to send the men wild - how cultures vary!!! :lol: :lol: On the passages where the floor is painted blue too, it signifies that it is a private alleyway so strangers know not to enter.

english rose 02-22-2008 01:51 PM

what is up side down applique?
I have had a go at some "art quilts". The first was a wall hanging of a lily - inspiration came from birth of first grandcchild called Lily. I also did a seascape - inspired by a wall tile we purchased in Arizona whilst there on holiday from uk. I have also done an Environmental Poster inspired by a "carbon challenge" running here in the uk to get people to think about climate change.
The day lily quilt will be stunning.
Jane

Izy 02-22-2008 01:53 PM

am not sure what upside down applique but I have heard of reverse applique is that what you mean?

How nice to hear from a british quilter, what part of Devon are you from?

english rose 02-22-2008 02:00 PM

The lady doing the day lily quilt mention us side down applique - I am familiar with reverse applique.
I am from Easr Devon - nearest village is Whimple - anout six miles from Exeter - and about 8 miles from sea at Sidmouth - lively countryside all around.

english rose 02-22-2008 02:02 PM

Also - forgot to say my sons partner - (mother of Lily) is Spanish from Madrid - they live here in Surrey.

Izy 02-22-2008 02:18 PM

I have visited Devon several times years ago, lovely part of England really beautiful, Paignton, Weymouth and the likes, fond memories for me!!

Tricky 02-22-2008 02:41 PM

Aggi I am totally jealous of your drafting ability--to be able to put your photograph into a drawing and then plan the quilt!!Oh my ! Iguess I will have the courage to try that sometime--although I could ask my husband to do the drafting and then I could do the quilting but I have to wait for the irght photo--I have a couple in mind but they can wait--I am still learning!!!!

I too would like to see the progress as you go>

sandpat 02-22-2008 03:49 PM

Aggi, can't wait to see your quilt progress! I love all the pics you guys have been posting. I haven't even thought of the challenge of tackling a landscape quilt yet. I have faaaar to go with regular piecing and trying to learn to applique.

I get inspiration from everywhere. The best time to organize my thoughts is when I'm taking my daily walks with my dog on our quiet country road. Thats when all the plans just seem to come together!