Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Plaid corduroy...on the diagonal. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/plaid-corduroy-diagonal-t239897.html)

fruitmama 01-29-2014 12:59 PM

Plaid corduroy...on the diagonal.

Good afternoon from Colorado! I have 8 yards of red plaid corduroy that is on the diagonal. With the nap going one way of course, and the diagonal print I am not quite sure what I can do with it...If I make a bedspread, the lines flow diagonally and I am not sure I would like it. I have red fleece for the underside. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions? I could make lap quilts, but I am not sure what type of pattern would be suitable. It is the traditional plaid with a little green and yellow in the squares. Does anyone have suggestions? I would certainly welcome them...kinda stuck with this one! LOL! Thanks!:eek:

Tartan 01-29-2014 01:07 PM

You have red corduroy on the top and red fleece on thebottom so at least you don't have to worry about bleeding. I think I would do a whole cloth quilt rather than piecing with it. If you do piece the corduroy, do larger pieces because the seams will be bulky. I think I would SITD in the direction of the corduroy.

Prism99 01-29-2014 02:02 PM

I'm thinking you could make a single large center square out of the corduroy on point (cutting so the pattern runs as you like it) with corner triangles of the red fleece. In other words, one big square in a square. Instead of cutting the big square first, I would draw a square on the fabric using a Sharpie permanent marker and then piece the corner triangles onto the corduroy using the lines as "virtual" cut lines. This should help prevent stretching of the bias.

MaryMo 01-29-2014 02:52 PM

Corduroy is a great companion fabric to denim. I might be tempted to do a fence rail with thick strips .... like 5" wide by 10" or 12" making the corduroy diagonals going in opposite directions when there are 2 corduroy in one block. Seam allowances should also be increased to 3/8 - 1/2 ". With the fleece backing, it would be a warm quilt, perfect for these cold blustery days.

fruitmama 01-29-2014 03:20 PM

what wonderful ideas....thank you all so much! Keep em' coming....I have a LOT of corduroy! LOL!

GrannieAnnie 01-29-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by fruitmama (Post 6542462)
Good afternoon from Colorado! I have 8 yards of red plaid corduroy that is on the diagonal. With the nap going one way of course, and the diagonal print I am not quite sure what I can do with it...If I make a bedspread, the lines flow diagonally and I am not sure I would like it. I have red fleece for the underside. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions? I could make lap quilts, but I am not sure what type of pattern would be suitable. It is the traditional plaid with a little green and yellow in the squares. Does anyone have suggestions? I would certainly welcome them...kinda stuck with this one! LOL! Thanks!:eek:

How would you treat any other piece of fabric that was printed in a diagonal design?
Personally, I don't see where it would be any concern as long as the print is 99.44% diagonal.

GrannieAnnie 01-29-2014 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo (Post 6542657)
Corduroy is a great companion fabric to denim. I might be tempted to do a fence rail with thick strips .... like 5" wide by 10" or 12" making the corduroy diagonals going in opposite directions when there are 2 corduroy in one block. Seam allowances should also be increased to 3/8 - 1/2 ". With the fleece backing, it would be a warm quilt, perfect for these cold blustery days.

I like the idea of the diagonals blocks set in opposite directions. Would result in a cheveron of sorts.

fruitmama 01-29-2014 03:46 PM

I have not had any experience with plaids.....and this has a nap which makes it interesting....thanks for all the help everyone!:o

GrannieAnnie 01-29-2014 03:47 PM

Please ignore me! I read too fast and skipped the "plaid". Still I'd treat it as any other diagonal print.

bearisgray 01-29-2014 04:16 PM

I might use it as a backing for a vlannel or denim quilt.