Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Playing with layout - opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/playing-layout-opinions-please-t246314.html)

Annie Pearl 05-06-2014 01:39 AM

I vote for the last one.

maviskw 05-06-2014 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Trippgal (Post 6705486)
If it is a snuggle quilt to be used I lean to omni directional. If hung, then obviously one direction

I love snuggle quilts with everything going every which way. But with a wall hanging, I think they need to be right side up. Adding sashing as needed will get them all the same size.
Have fun.

Wanabee Quiltin 05-06-2014 04:31 AM

I have seen some beautiful Tshirt quilts. They used stabilizer and it gave the knit shirts much more body. I personally hate looking at anything that I have to look every which way, I prefer things in a more orderly direction (yes, I am a Libra). I would use sashing to make the blocks it.

cajunowl 05-06-2014 04:56 AM

I have made four bed size t-shirt quilts. They look better when they are uni-directional. A sash for each block really helps to off set each t-shirt. I used the school colors as sashing for my son's t-shirt quilts. Also, for the stablilizer, be very careful when choosing. The first t-shirt quilt I made, I used an iron on fabric and it made the quilt very heavy, plus gummed up the needle very badly. For the t-shirts that are an irregular size, either cut down to fit the others or fill in with another fabric so the blocks are similar in size. just my 2 cents! Good luck with the quilt :)

Bubbie 05-06-2014 05:45 AM

I'm with you, I like #3. That would be my first choice, then #4. I have done t-shirt quilts and I have found that the quilts I've done with the t-shirts all the same direction framed and then another background fabric, are wonderful. But the ones with the t-shirts in all different directions are fun and feel like they can be used, washed and loved. So I think just like any other quilt we do, it's up to you, your DD and how you both think her friend will use it. Good Luck

LynnVT 05-06-2014 05:52 AM

The girl may have no idea how it's going to turn out, and once she sees how big it is, I'm sure it will go on her bed or couch. I love that picture of the one with the printed background and various size/shape blocks. In any case, I agree with all-one-way opinions. You are a good mom to do this for her, and I'm sure it's fun to do it.

callen 05-06-2014 07:53 AM

I totally agree with Barb in Louisiana so I guess that makes me old too. I love the one that she displayed. It's neat, organized & easy to read. Obviously, it's up to the one who is paying you but IMHO, I agree with Barb.

wildyard 05-06-2014 08:12 AM

I've made a lot of tshirt quilts and they have always been hits. I do keep mine one directional, for ease of reading, and I frame the blocks to bring them to size.
I keep as little of the actual knit fabric as possible, trimming around just the design. I tend to like scrappy framing for each block then I use a common fabric to sash the quilt. I like to use even the small designs, and will often join 4 of them to make a block to equal the larger blocks. Or I might use a long narrow section to add size to one that is shorter by adding it to the top, bottom or side.
I make each row like a puzzle, and it may be taller or shorter than another row. I just make them all the same width so they fit together across.

MargeD 05-06-2014 11:16 AM

Me too, I like the last setting. Great quilt.

JanieH 05-07-2014 02:42 AM

I am with Barb in Louisiana - I like them all going in the same direction.

Of the 4 options you showed, I like #4 the best.