Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please Advise-want to buy Longarm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-advise-want-buy-longarm-t300001.html)

ka9sdn 10-06-2018 03:40 AM

Why buy one that you expect to replace--that is an expensive way. You will not get what you paid for the 1st one. If I knew I really wanted the bigger one go for it.

emcay 10-06-2018 04:14 AM

The above post by ka9sdn sums up my thoughts exactly! If you buy bigger in a few years will everything fit together with your original parts?

Kitsie 10-06-2018 06:56 AM

I would go for the larger one to begin with. Then you don't have to "buy up" in a few years.

Dolphyngyrl 10-06-2018 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by greenirish43 (Post 8138248)
I have been researching longarm machines and have decided that I will purchase one within the next 3-6 months. My delima is this - should I start out with a 16" throat, and then later (maybe 2-5 years down the road) move up in size, or should I go ahead and buy an 18 or 20" and then just be done. I love quilting, have been quilting for years, and plan to quilt as long as possible (I am 51 years old) so I do think that I'd have several years to use one. I have quilted on my domestic machine and find that it hurts my back to pin baste, so that is one reason I'd like to get a long arm. Right now I have 7 quilt tops that are finished and ready for quilting.......Yikes! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

When you try them out try different lengths it depends on how comfortable your reach is because I know people who have bought longarms too large for them and end up having to trade in. 20 is where I am most comfortable but I would get the biggest size you are most comfortable with

indycat32 10-06-2018 11:25 AM

Buy big. I bought the HQ Simply 16 on a 10 foot frame a few months ago and I already regret not going bigger.

cathyvv 10-06-2018 11:46 AM

Buy the bigger long arm. You will not be sorry that you did, and it will save you money in the long run. Enjoy!

luvstoquilt301 10-06-2018 12:22 PM

I think it depends on what you are going to do with it. I make quilts for myself and charity. I have no desire to turn my hobby into a job. I bought a used HQ16 for a very reasonable price. I had tried new ones and knew I liked this machine.

It does not even have a stitch regulator and I am fine with that. I just do edge to edge type patterns free hand across the front of the machine. I quilt about 100 quits per year on it.

greenirish43 10-06-2018 01:24 PM

Thank you all so much. I am so glad I asked and you so honestly responded. Thinking I will definitely get the biggest I can afford.

selm 10-06-2018 02:33 PM

If you have back issues I highly recommend using zippers to attach your quilt to the leaders. You can sit to put on (and take off) the pins saving a lot time not being on your feet. Even without back issues I think zippers are far superior to any other method just from an efficiency stand point.

Bobbielinks 10-06-2018 04:54 PM

Go as large as you have room for. You will never regret being able to quilt large quilts.