Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please don't let me buy your fabric!! And stash coordination HELP PLEASE!!! :D (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-dont-let-me-buy-your-fabric-stash-coordination-help-please-d-t73686.html)

mac 11-02-2010 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by e4
Any system that works for you is the right system. I sort by main color for general fabrics of a 1/2 yard or more. I also separate batiks, orientals, holidays, and 30's fabrics. If it's a fat quarter up to a half yard it gets folded with fat quarters. Anything less gets cut into my standard scrap strip sizes and separated into lights and darks. That works for me, but anything that works for you is what you should use.

I think e4 has a good idea. I understand your predicament. I decided to take 30+ years of fabric and wash it all. It is taking me weeks and I'm still not through. But what a difference it makes when you organize your colors so that it is like going to a quilt store and you can just pick fabric out and use it when needed.

Your time is growing short to get your Christmas presents done, so I would do this to get some sort of order in your sewing room. You can always go back after you finish your projects and do a better job of folding and organizing. By then you will have a better idea of what is & is not working for you.

First thing I would do is get some bookshelves. I have 3 – 7 foot bookshelves in my sewing room that I keep my fabric in. This is for the larger pieces of fabric that are at least a half yard or more. I sort out my fabric by color, fold it simply and put it on the shelves. For now, use big groupings of basic colors like black, red, blue, green, yellow, etc. You can go back later for fine tuning as you find out what your preferences are when working.

Pieces smaller than a half yard I would put in those big see-through plastic bins, again, by color. Pieces smaller than a fat-quarter, I would just put all together in one bin as scraps.

I would do as e4 suggested and keep Asian fabrics, holiday fabrics and specialty fabrics, etc. on a separate shelf and not mix them in with the regular fabric colors. It will make them easier to find later on. All non-cotton fabrics are put away in plastic bins and do not get mixed in with my cottons at all.

You can get bookshelves for FREE on Freecycle in your area. You just have to be able to pick it up.

I also use the shelves that I don’t put fabric on for those plastic drawer sets you can get at Joann’s. I put all my tools in these drawers and label the drawers so I know what is in them. Additionally, I put all my patterns in a plastic shoe box and my quilting books on the shelf. I really love using my bookshelves for this purpose, it keeps everything neat and I can see what I have at a glance.

I hope this gives you some help in organizing your sewing room.

julia58 11-02-2010 07:20 PM

Best of luck with your project, at least you are trying to organise. I buy old suitcases of all sizes at thrift stores, auctions, etc... and put fabric,ufo's, patterns, whatever in them. You can stack them, put them under beds if you have room. Plus alot of them have pockets for misc. I know me tooo well, there is fabric, patterns, all over the spare bedroom, then when we have unexpected company, I can put the stuff in one of the suitcases pretty fast.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-02-2010 07:26 PM

I am SO GRATEFUL to all of you!!! The ideas are wonderful, and the kind words mean so much to me!!
I think this time of year has to be the worst for what I'm in the throes of- I may just do as mac says for now and fine-tune after the holiday madness is over :D
Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!!!!
HUGE HUGS,
Sue

lindagor 11-03-2010 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Friends, I am dead serious!!!!!!!!!!!
PM me if you want a flat-rate box (10.70) of fabrics. They are not scraps. I don't even know where those scraps are yet.
Your only charge is postage. Paypal, check, or money order but Paypal is safest. Let me know if there are colors you really don't like. The only color I don't have is orange.

Oh my gosh, it's going to be like a fabric feeding frenzy for you! :lol: And if I weren't doing exactly the same thing you are right now (trying to organize an overwhelming amount of fabric and sewing/quilting stuff) I'b be right there along with the others PMing you and getting more...more...MORE!! Fabric, ooo fabric...when is that next meeting of Fabricholics Anonymous?

fireworkslover 11-03-2010 04:36 AM

I sort my fabric by color, fabric for OBW's, Christmas prints, multi darks prints, multi light prints. One small drawer has scraps, I can use to test stitches on w/ small strips of leftover batting. They are in covered plastic boxes, stacked around the perimeter of the room and under my sewing/cutting table. This works for me. The boxes have gotten larger over time. :lol:

Donnasue 11-03-2010 04:36 AM

I would love some of your calicos. I also have a paypal account, since I shop on Ebay. Let me know how soon I can set up to pay for two boxes. And, thank you!

quiltmom04 11-03-2010 04:59 AM

Friends, I am going nutty here!!

1. Please don't let me buy your fabric. I have no self control lol
2. I am totally going through my sewing room and am completely overwhelmed as to sorting.

I came up with this system so far:

All yardage more than 2 yards in one pile
All batiks, novelties separate from the others.
All smaller yardage by color.

Any other suggestions?? Or any better ones??

I have a lot of gifts to make so it was probably the wrong time to do this. But my DH took out the big bed and put it in another room for the kids and guests. I have the whole room!! And I take his help when I can get it !!

I'm trying to work a couple of hours each day so I can finish it in a reasonable length of time.

Any suggestions are welcome and thanks for letting me vent!
I may even buy that perfect piece from you even though I'm swearing it off for now lololol :D

Sue

I just did mine and I have 2 boxes of "why did I buy this?" and "I'll never use this!" that I'm donating to the local guild for charity quilts. I'm trying to cut back my purchases too, not so much for financial reasons (although that's always a consideration) but for space constraints.

carhop 11-03-2010 05:51 AM

Friends, I am dead serious!!!!!!!!!!!
PM me if you want a flat-rate box (10.70) of fabrics. They are not scraps. I don't even know where those scraps are yet.
Your only charge is postage. Paypal, check, or money order but Paypal is safest. Let me know if there are colors you really don't like. The only color I don't have is orange.

I would like a box I have a pay pal account. I neede to get more fabric I sold my stash and DML's be for I moved I just didn't think I would get back in to it. pm me with your account

sueisallaboutquilts 11-03-2010 06:21 AM

Friends, please be patient with me. I am filling 2-3 orders per day and spending a lot of time in my sewing room.
As you can imagine I'm getting lots of requests!!
It pleases me greatly, I just wish I had more hands and hours lol
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Sue

sunrise450 11-03-2010 06:23 AM

Sent you a PM. Although I should be doing what you are doing and destashing also. I finally told my DH that I am a fabraholic. He just laughed and said he already figgured that one out!