Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help--Basic Janome with a speed control switch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-basic-janome-speed-control-switch-t170690.html)

martita 12-02-2011 01:40 PM

Please help--Basic Janome with a speed control switch

About 10 years ago I bought a Janome Schoolmate sewing machine. On the right side of the sewing machine, where it has the switch to turn the machine on or off, there is also a switch to control low or high speed. I sew a lot, so I always keep it on the high speed. Now I need to soon replace this dear machine, and I'd like to get another just like it, but I don't seem to find anything like it anywhere. Nothing that is so basic but with the speed control switch. I like that it is heavy duty as well. I've looked at the 1600P-DPX, but that has only a straight stitch and I would like to have one with zig zag, and couple other stitches as well. I've also looked at the Memory craft professional 6300 I believe it is, but it's just expensive and has much more than I need. Can anyone help me and give some suggestions? Thank you so much. I'm so lost with this.

Xstitshmom 12-02-2011 01:47 PM

I bought a pretty basic "Janome" at Hancocks four years ago. On the front of the machine is a "slide" that controls the speed. It definitely isn't "top" of the line. It has zig zag and a few other stitches. I love this machine -- it's the only one I own so it definitely gets a work out. It has sold me on Janome so I am saving up to "upgrade" in the future.

martita 12-02-2011 01:49 PM

What is the name or serial number of your Janome?

Xstitshmom 12-02-2011 01:57 PM

3022 -- They were made specifically for Hancocks and I don't think they make them anymore. But I sure have been happy with it.

babalu 12-02-2011 01:58 PM

I bought a Janome DC2011 in August. It is very basic (with a bunch of stitches I will probably never use) and a slide speed control right in the front. It was about $300, and works great. I don't know about 'heavy duty', but it works sooo much easier than the 30 year old machine it was replacing! Hope that helps...

garysgal 12-02-2011 02:10 PM

I bought a speed controller on Ebay and use it on my Juki and boy what a difference! I think you could get one of those and attach it to any machine and it would work.

winia 12-05-2011 09:03 AM

garysgal, could you please explain that? I would be very interested in purchasing one for my Singer professional which has no speed control and zooms off with no thought of slowing down.

Jamiestitcher62 12-05-2011 09:13 AM

All Janome machines have a slider speed control on them, cheap to expensive. I wouldn't use the attachable speed control from Grace, because it's meant to be used when you hook your machine up to a long arm quilting frame.

I take it back sort of, the Janome 1600 might not because it is a straight stitch machine designed for hooking up to a quilt frame.

How about a nice Brother Innov-450. I've seen them on Ebay for about $500. That is pretty reasonable for a sewing machine that does quite a bit.