Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help...can I save this wallhanging? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-can-i-save-wallhanging-t212545.html)

gwanma 01-31-2013 10:00 AM

Please help...can I save this wallhanging?

1 Attachment(s)
I am making this wall hanging for my sister (my second attempt) and I keep running into the same problem. Because I quilted the center panel quite extensively around the flowers, etc. the wallhanging has pulled to the middle. So I have this funny shape to the panel. I didn't notice it until way later and I am so disappointed as this was quite a pricy investment and i already ruined one. Is there anything I can do to stretch the middle out? any other suggestions or is my only solution to pull out my seam ripper?

Dina 01-31-2013 10:10 AM

I don't know the answer, but I will be watching this thread.

Peckish 01-31-2013 10:12 AM

My suggestion would be to quilt the borders as extensively as you quilted the center section. You might also try blocking the quilt, although I think additional quilting would be more effective.

QuiltnNan 01-31-2013 10:13 AM

i don't think you can stretch the center. personally, i don't think it looks that bad. but if you are unhappy, then yours is the important opinion. i would probably remove the binding, add a lot more quilting to the rest of the quilt, then rebind it. hth

Dina 01-31-2013 10:16 AM

Actually, I agree with QuiltnNan. I believe I would leave it alone. It is a beautiful wall hanging. It almost looks like you did it on purpose, and you could pretend you did. :)

Dina

quiltstringz 01-31-2013 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5827692)
My suggestion would be to quilt the borders as extensively as you quilted the center section. You might also try blocking the quilt, although I think additional quilting would be more effective.

Agree with this! I was always under the impression (can't remember from where) that a quilt had to be evenly quilted all over. If the middle is tightly quilted and the rest not I would think that would lead to issues.

gwanma 01-31-2013 01:03 PM

Ok, thanks so much ladies for your responses. My picture is too small for you to see that I have not binded it yet and the brown border is quilted with an elongated scroll. I will try to do some quilting in the blue borders and see what happens. Would you let me know how to block a quilt. I have never done that.

GrannieAnnie 01-31-2013 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by gwanma (Post 5827665)
I am making this wall hanging for my sister (my second attempt) and I keep running into the same problem. Because I quilted the center panel quite extensively around the flowers, etc. the wallhanging has pulled to the middle. So I have this funny shape to the panel. I didn't notice it until way later and I am so disappointed as this was quite a pricy investment and i already ruined one. Is there anything I can do to stretch the middle out? any other suggestions or is my only solution to pull out my seam ripper?

Could you loosely attach a sleeve midway up on the back and put in a stabilizer of some sort---------not fabric stabilizer but maybe an old ruler or a very flat piece of metal?

Dina 01-31-2013 03:02 PM

I don't know how to block a quilt block or quilt either, but there was a bit of discussion on that somewhere here recently. I can't remember what was said though, something about water and stretching, I think. But, I just went and googled it and found three or more places that explained it. You might google a bit and see what you find.

Dina

Gladys 01-31-2013 04:59 PM

Lots of good information in this thread. I'm learning too, however I think it looks good. Good luck Dina.