Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help me fix my laptop bag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-fix-my-laptop-bag-t264613.html)

KenmoreGal2 04-29-2015 03:45 AM

Please help me fix my laptop bag

2 Attachment(s)
I got the bug to make a laptop bag yesterday. I wanted a simple quilted one with a main area for the laptop, an inside pocket for the AC cord and a small inside pocket for pens, paper etc. In general I am pleased with the bag but when I pick it up, it gapes open and I don't like that. I don't want to go to the trouble of adding a zipper, I would consider buttons but I'd rather just leave it open. I rarely take my laptop out of the house anyway so it's not worth much effort.

I put the handles on asymmetrically by mistake so I need to redo them. If I put them closer together, more towards the middle, I think that may help. Is that correct? I'm pretty sure one long handle like a messenger bag would be much worse, right?

Any other ideas? Simple stuff please!

Thanks fellow sewists.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518279[/ATTACH]
This is the inside view. I'm quite pleased with how everything fit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518280[/ATTACH]
This is what I'm unhappy with. :thumbdown:

ManiacQuilter2 04-29-2015 03:56 AM

How about Velcro?? Cute bag!!

KenmoreGal2 04-29-2015 04:02 AM

Let me ask you about velcro (thanks for the kind comment about bag btw)

When I used it in the past, I found my stitches took away from the velcro - ee -ness of the bag. They took up so much of the hook and loop areas that the velcro was not as adhesive as it should be. What was I doing wrong?

Onebyone 04-29-2015 04:06 AM

It is too flimsy to stay shut without a fastener. The handles seem to be positioned in the wrong spot for the weight the bag is holding. When I sew Velcro, just sew around the edges. Leave the middle unsewn.

KenmoreGal2 04-29-2015 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7180582)
The handles seem to be positioned in the wrong spot for the weight the bag is holding.

Thanks for the comment. What would be a better position for the handles? I was thinking more toward the center.

KenmoreGal2 04-29-2015 04:15 AM

I have to step away from the computer for a while. I'll be spending some quality time with my mechanic!!

I will reply to any new comments when I return. Thank you for helping me!

Onebyone 04-29-2015 04:26 AM

I would pin the handles in different spots with the laptop in the bag. This way you can preposition the handles until you find a good fit.

PaperPrincess 04-29-2015 05:15 AM

Pretty, pretty fabric!!!
You can fix this by adding a couple of ribbon ties. Make sure you use a good quality ribbon, at least 1/2" wide, cut 2 pieces about 12 inches, and attach to each side of the bag between the handles. Zigzag the ends so they don't ravel.
I usually leave about 5" between the handles if they are short 'grab with your hand" handles and about 6" if they are shoulder straps.
The choice of fabric/batting/quilting will also affect how the bag drapes. A sturdier combo, such as a canvas fabric, using a stiff interfacing or a really dense quilting motif will allow the handles to be placed farther apart because the bag can support itself.
One additional comment. The handles should extend about 2" into the bag which would allow you to box stitch them on. With cargo as expensive & fragile as a PC, you don't want them coming loose. If you look at the way these handles are attached, you can see what I mean by box stitching. The illustration shows the handles attached to the outside, but you can use the same technique if they extend inside between the outer fabric & the lining.
Step 4: Stitch the handles to the bag
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Tote-Bag
And finally, to make really sturdy handles, I like to wrap the entire bag:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...bbing-Handles/
Sorry for the lengthy answer. Can you tell I make a lot of bags :)

KenmoreGal2 04-29-2015 06:10 AM

Thank you one by one and paper princess. I will follow all of your suggestions. I sort of held the bag between my fingers where I was thinking of moving the handles to and it did seem better. So I was on the right track at least.

I was indeed thinking of shoring up the attachment point of the handles as I lay in bed last night. In addition to moving them I will definitely do the box stitching. In this case, practicalities outweigh looks.

Love the ribbon tie idea, it will go nicely with the look of the bag.

I wish I had thought of quilting densely to make the bag stiffer. It never occurred to me but that's a great idea for next time. I just used regular quilt batting and the lining is a thin poly.

I am glad you shared your bag knowledge paperprincess. It's good to learn from the pros.

BTW - the fabric is a heavyweight damask which I actually had in my donate pile. I had no idea of what to do with it and I'm pleased I found a good use for it.

Buckeye Rose 04-29-2015 06:27 AM

Pellon makes a great batting/interfacing, I use 971F (the fusible one) and it works great....since you fuse it to the fabric, you don't have to do a lot of quilting unless you choose....I usually only do diagonal lines about 2" apart.....If you have to take your bag apart to fix the handles, you could do some additional quilting to make it a bit stiffer.....after fixing the handle placement, you could also add some ties to the outside of the bag, like the bowtucks bags....a very simple thing to add that will close up the top of the bag a bit (doesn't affect the capacity of the bag itself) and will add a bit of pretty detail....you also could add a large button to the outside and a fabric loop on the opposite site for a simple closure....very pretty bag and lots of easy fixes to your problem!