Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help me with a non-quilting sewing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-non-quilting-sewing-question-t42827.html)

Quilting D 04-15-2010 11:02 AM

Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated. I am making some draperies with a blackout lining. The problem is the lining. At this stage it is still seperate from the drapes but it seems to hang crooked. It acts like fabric when it has not been cut on straight of grain. I didn't think that blackout drapery lining had a straight of grain or any grain lines to worry about. Even if it does I didn't cut it off grain in the first place and it is simple a length of fabric sewed to another half width length of backing to get the width I need for backing the drapery fabric. What could possible be making this lining not want to hang straight? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Darlene 04-15-2010 11:14 AM

Do you think it will affect the way the drapes will hang once the black is attached? If not don't worry about it.
But I have seen lining held up to the draperies with clip hangers and it looked really good. I have never seen your type of lining so I can't really help you with that.

Quilting D 04-15-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene
Do you think it will affect the way the drapes will hang once the black is attached? If not don't worry about it.
But I have seen lining held up to the draperies with clip hangers and it looked really good. I have never seen your type of lining so I can't really help you with that.

Thanks Darlene for your help with this question. I think you have a good point that it may not effect the way it looks when it is hanging up with the drapes. This is just a simple set of tab drapes with the lining only attached at the top. I'm thinking before I put too much worry into it I'm going to move ahead, make the tabs and hang them temporarily & see how they look before I make decision about what to do.
Thanks for the encouragement. :thumbup:

Oklahoma Suzie 04-15-2010 01:37 PM

I just had that problem with a quilt top, looked like it was not straight, but it will not affect anything.

dsb38327 04-15-2010 02:12 PM

It sounds like the piece of blackout fabric may not be 'squared' on all four sides. I made 21 panels for our sunroom (just used sheets for the lining). I was sailing along like a good little soldier and laid one out on a piece of lining that had gotten off square. I laid the top fabric on the cutting board or floor, smoothed the wrinkles out of the lining, pinned it down and stitched the seams. It is fine but still wavy in some places. Good luck.

sewgull 04-15-2010 04:07 PM

Drapery lining is almost never on grain. It is best cut using the selvage as the straight line. If you tear lining it will be crooked.
Don't worry just sew tabs and pertend all is well.

Quilting D 04-15-2010 06:28 PM

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my question. It sounds like from your advice that this should not turn out to be a problem. I did use the selvage edges for sewing the lengths together to make the widths I needed. I also used a straight edge on the top to get the 90 degrees in hopes of making everything square as well as cutting carefully. It has been reassuring to hear your thoughts to confirm my ideas and also nice to know I'm not alone in having these kind of problems. Thanks again, you ladies you are awesome. :)

dsb38327 04-16-2010 03:44 AM

Pictures when your project is completed. We will enjoy them. One thing I have enjoyed about this board is the 'Okay to be less than perfect inspiration'. Not everything turns out exactly the way we wish it would. If there are no bumps in the road we lose our opportunity to problem solve and learn from the experience. I enjoyed your post.

OOangel_4U 04-16-2010 04:18 AM

Great Tips guys!!!!

Ditter43 04-16-2010 07:30 AM

Did you remove the selvage edge before sewing the two lengths together? If not, that will definitely affect the way they hang....

Ditter