Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help re: applique vs. using a machine to stitch it down (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-re-applique-vs-using-machine-stitch-down-t25854.html)

lovesmusic 09-23-2009 09:07 AM

I think it looks charming as is, big stitches and all. If you really hate the way the stitches look, then maybe you should redo them all. However, the stitches are very even and neat, and echo a blanket stitch.

Good luck! It's a lovely quilt.

Cindy

sandpat 09-24-2009 05:16 AM

I think I would leave it alone. It is a part of your MIL's history and quilting life. Don't you just love to find someone else's "first try" at something (of course, not your own stuff...we all think that our own first stuff is awful!)..but..I just love that this is her first attempt..and in my opinion, its a pretty darn good one! I'd just echo quilt and you will end up with a beautiful quilt that tells the history of your MIL. But...thats just MHO :lol:

reneebobby 09-24-2009 06:22 AM

What a pretty quilt

brendadawg 09-24-2009 07:05 AM

I guess I'll jump in here and say I like it the way it is also. Although the stitches are large, they appear to be uniform, making it look almost like "decorative" stitching. I like the look, but the important thing is how you feel about it.

sylslight 09-24-2009 07:17 AM

I am glad this got settled before i posted, I really think it it fine as well and if it was an issue ofholding togetehr quilting it will help with that!!! I am also glad, that in asking your mil that it didnt cause any arguments about whose the better quilter or this is how she made it so you better leave it, etc. lol....im sure many of you know what i mean, sounds like you prob have a good mil, not all of us are so lucky!!!

butterflywing 09-24-2009 08:41 AM

i think it's a nice history of who appliqued it. some by your mil and some by you. put a nice label on the back saying when the stitches were each made and by whom. whoever gets it next should treasure it.

edit: explain that this was your mil's first attempt at applique and how beautiful the design is. that should please everyone.

bearisgray 09-24-2009 09:30 AM

1) The quilt IS lovely as is and the stitches ARE nice and even

Questions/Concerns?

How well would this hold up to even gentle washing the way it is?

How much seam allowance is there?

Sometimes fraying is an issue when the stitches are so far apart.

Can you (or even want to) resew the pieces and still let the original stitching show? so your MIL stitches end up being the "decorative" part and your sewing is the "hold it together" part?

It looks like it has been nicely pressed and the designs are delightful.

nitakhoops 09-24-2009 10:30 AM

The quilt is just lovely the way it is...wish I could hand stitch so nicely. I'd keep it as a memory from a loved one and not change it...

AnnaK 09-24-2009 11:33 AM

This is not the kind of quilt that will be machine washed, or washed often. It is not a utility quilt, therefore I would leave it just as it is and love the quilt for the hand work of the original stitcher. I think it's beautiful as is. Your quilting will be the frosting on an already lovely cake!!

butterflywing 09-24-2009 12:21 PM

speaking of washing, how will the reds hold up? any idea?