Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-t97658.html)

Berta48 02-07-2011 02:51 PM

I have a math question...
I have been trying all day (no kidding) to figure out what size squares to fit into the four corners to match my 6in border.I cut a 6 1/2 in border and it ended up being to short so I want to fill it in with the pinwheels. I want to put pinwheels in each corner of the outer border but can not figure out what size to make the two squares to get it the correct size.

I have tried 6 3/4,5 1/2 ,5in and six in and 4 3/4 and nothing is coming out right and in the process cut my middle finger on left hand on the rotary blade. I am befuddled.Makes me wonder why I like quilting :lol:

Raggiemom 02-07-2011 02:54 PM

:( Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

feline fanatic 02-07-2011 03:12 PM

Ok, you say you cut a 6 1/2 border so I am assuming this is your raw size before putting it on the quilt. I believe what you want to do is put 6 1/2 corner squares in each corner of the quilt. To make your pinwheels you need HST that measure 3 1/2 inch unfinished. When you sew these 4 units together you will end up with a 6 1/2 square. (3.5 + 3.5 = 7" -.5 lost in seam allowance = 6.5)

I usually attach my side borders first so if you also do it this way you will want to attach your 6 1/2" unfinished pinwheels to either end of you 6 1/2" unfinished top and bottom border. Attach your sides then attach your top and bottom lining up the seams that joins your border to your pinwheel with the seam that joins your quilt top and side border.

MTS 02-07-2011 03:15 PM

Let's recap:

You cut a 6.5" border that you want to attach to the quilt center, but you're a bit short on the length. So you're going to cut it down X" (X being the length of the quilt top).

If you're using the same width for the top and bottom border (and there would be no reason not to unless you're a masochist), then the blocks you're going to need for the corners have to be a 6.5" square unfinished.

So your pinwheel block would be made up of FOUR subunits, each a 3.5" unfinished HST blocks.

To make life easy, I would cut eight 4.5" squares each of the 2 fabrics you're going to be using for the pinwheel,
make the HST (any method), and trim down to 3.5".

Then sew four of the HST's together into a 4-patch.
And, voila, a 6.5" block. Make 4.

Attach one to each end of your top and bottom borders (the center portion being the width (unfinished) of your quilt center).

Attached to your quilt top.

I think the math is write unless I made a typo.

Clear as mud?

Berta48 02-07-2011 03:22 PM

OK I will try to explain better.I am new to quilting so I really have a hard time understanding things.ESPECIALLY THE MATH.

I made a scrapy quilt with no sashing.Then I cut 6in outside borders and sewed top and bottom border first USEING A 1/4 IN SEAM. then went to add the sides.they were short about 6in.So I thought I could put a pinwheel in each corner to make up for it.

But I can't seem to get them the right size.
I use two pieces of fabric squares the same size sew allfour sides and cut at 45 angle twice and get my four pieces for the pinwheel.But the pinwheel is always to big!

MTS 02-07-2011 03:23 PM

Berta,

You cut the outside border how WIDE???

6" or 6.5"?

My answer is based on 6.5 inches.

Berta48 02-07-2011 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Ok, you say you cut a 6 1/2 border so I am assuming this is your raw size before putting it on the quilt. I believe what you want to do is put 6 1/2 corner squares in each corner of the quilt. To make your pinwheels you need HST that measure 3 1/2 inch unfinished. When you sew these 4 units together you will end up with a 6 1/2 square. (3.5 + 3.5 = 7" -.5 lost in seam allowance = 6.5)

I usually attach my side borders first so if you also do it this way you will want to attach your 6 1/2" unfinished pinwheels to either end of you 6 1/2" unfinished top and bottom border. Attach your sides then attach your top and bottom lining up the seams that joins your border to your pinwheel with the seam that joins your quilt top and side border.

I remeasured and the borders are 6in with the 1/4in seam.So it would have been 61/2 to start with.So do I cut the two squares in 3.5 in to bergin with?

Moonpi 02-07-2011 03:27 PM

If you trim your oversize pinwheels by taking the same anount off all outside edges, you'll be fine. Bigger is better with forgiving patterns.

Berta48 02-07-2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
If you trim your oversize pinwheels by taking the same anount off all outside edges, you'll be fine. Bigger is better with forgiving patterns.

Thanks that might work :thumbup: Didn't even consider that :oops:

feline fanatic 02-07-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Berta48
OK I will try to explain better.I am new to quilting so I really have a hard time understanding things.ESPECIALLY THE MATH.

I made a scrapy quilt with no sashing.Then I cut 6in outside borders and sewed top and bottom border first USEING A 1/4 IN SEAM. then went to add the sides.they were short about 6in.So I thought I could put a pinwheel in each corner to make up for it.

But I can't seem to get them the right size.
I use two pieces of fabric squares the same size sew allfour sides and cut at 45 angle twice and get my four pieces for the pinwheel.But the pinwheel is always to big!

The beauty of this technique is you can cut down your HST to the size you need. So in your first post you said your border was 6 1/2 but your second post you said it was 6" wide.

For 6 1/2" wide:
after you take your two squares and sew all around and do your two diagonal cuts measure your resulting HST with a square ruler. You want those units to be 3 1/2" square. Once they are that size, make your pinwheels and attach them to each end of your side borders and finish as normal

For 6" wide border strips:
Same as above only your HST need to measure 3.25 each.

I'm sorry I am only familiar with the technique you use to make the HST I have not actually done it myself so I can not tell you what size you need to make the squares. Personally, I would unsew the pinwheels you said that were too big and cut the HST down to the needed size and then reassemble the pinwheel. Actually, now that I think about it the nature of the pinwheel block you couldn't you just cut it down to size while it is still assembled? It's been a while since I made any pinwheels.