Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please Help with Trip Around the World (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-trip-around-world-t185695.html)

cmagee84 04-11-2012 08:31 AM

Please Help with Trip Around the World

I need to make a "Trip around the World" quilt using 9 fabrics to represent 9 countries. I plan to use Bonnie Hunter's wonderful tutorial on Quiltville.com. However, I feel cutting the strips at 4" is too wide! I am picturing the fabric repeating several times over instead of just one row of each color in each quadrant. Does that make sense? How do I choose a smaller width and know how much fabric to buy and how many repeats I will have for the size I want? 2" seems too small, but 3" might work for a 2 1/2" finished strip. So someone PLEASE, PLEASE do the math for me!!! whine, whine! :oI hate math!!!

The quilt needs to be about 84 x 98, which includes borders. The names of the countries will be embroidered in the borders.

Sounds like I need to break down and buy EQ7!!!

Thanks! :)

Scissor Queen 04-11-2012 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by cmagee84 (Post 5132980)
I need to make a "Trip around the World" quilt using 9 fabrics to represent 9 countries. I plan to use Bonnie Hunter's wonderful tutorial on Quiltville.com. However, I feel cutting the strips at 4" is too wide! I am picturing the fabric repeating several times over instead of just one row of each color in each quadrant. Does that make sense? How do I choose a smaller width and know how much fabric to buy and how many repeats I will have for the size I want? 2" seems too small, but 3" might work for a 2 1/2" finished strip. So someone PLEASE, PLEASE do the math for me!!! whine, whine! :oI hate math!!!

The quilt needs to be about 84 x 98, which includes borders. The names of the countries will be embroidered in the borders.

Sounds like I need to break down and buy EQ7!!!

Thanks! :)

Graph paper's cheaper and they have it at Wal-Mart.

CoyoteQuilts 04-11-2012 09:42 AM

Not sure if this will help or not, but Quilter's Calc says you will need 8.25 yards of fabric for the top, 9 1/3 for backing, 3/4 for binding. Just not sure how to work the magic for each color.....

cmagee84 04-11-2012 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts (Post 5133110)
Not sure if this will help or not, but Quilter's Calc says you will need 8.25 yards of fabric for the top, 9 1/3 for backing, 3/4 for binding. Just not sure how to work the magic for each color.....

That follows what Bonnie has on her site to buy 1 yard of each fabric. So that is one step closer! Thanks so much. Hopefully I will get at least two repeats to make it look good.

Tartan 04-11-2012 10:53 AM

I would work it out on graph paper. You are going to need more and less of some fabrics as the rows get bigger around the quilt. If you can repeat some of the smaller inner rounds further out, that will help. I did one once and you need a lot of certain colours as you get near the outside round. I had to buy more and wished I'd worked it out first. Good luck.

QuiltnNan 04-11-2012 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an EQ pic without the full coloring. It uses your 2 1/2" finished size blocks and a 5" border. It comes out to 80x95". It has 28x34 blocks. You can adjust it as you will :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]327114[/ATTACH]

cmagee84 04-11-2012 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5133552)
Here is an EQ pic without the full coloring. It uses your 2 1/2" finished size blocks and a 5" border. It comes out to 80x95". It has 28x34 blocks. You can adjust it as you will :)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! Thank looks wonderful! I will be able to print and use that! I can't thank you enough!!! Quilting friends are THE BEST!:thumbup:

SouthPStitches 04-11-2012 02:33 PM

I have made 4 trips around the world, but used Eleanor Burns pattern "Quick Trip". It was super easy and came together unbelievably fast.

cmagee84 04-11-2012 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches (Post 5133690)
I have made 4 trips around the world, but used Eleanor Burns pattern "Quick Trip". It was super easy and came together unbelievably fast.

Is her pattern available by itself or only in a book? Bonnie's instructions seem fairly easy. What size strips did you cut?

SouthPStitches 04-11-2012 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by cmagee84 (Post 5133720)
Is her pattern available by itself or only in a book? Bonnie's instructions seem fairly easy. What size strips did you cut?

The book contains only the quick trip and variations thereof. Let me check my quilt room tomorrow for the book and I'll look up the strip width