Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please help with tube quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-tube-quilt-t160338.html)

nannyrick 10-14-2011 07:27 AM

I am trying to make a tube block and am having a heck of a time with my blocks not coming out the same size.
The best part is that I have done this before and had no trouble.
I sew 2 2 1/2 strips together, then add a 4 1/2 on top and
stitch around. Then I place my ruler on the sewn seam and
cut, yet some are smaller than the other. I,m wasting a lot of fabric because of this. I keep trying and coming out wrong so it's time to ask the experts. I hope you can tell me what I,m doing wrong.
Thanks.

QuiltE 10-14-2011 07:49 AM

If they aren't coming out the same size, my thoughts would be that you are not keeping your seams all the same width throughout. Or that your strips are not all evenly cut at 2-1/2" and 4-1/2".

A wiggle and a wobble in a seam or when cutting, will really change things when it comes to cutting the squares from the tubes.

QuiltnNan 10-14-2011 07:52 AM

are you placing the same ruler line on the sewing seam each time? and is this from the same strip that the sizes are different?

Prism99 10-14-2011 07:52 AM

I had to read that several times; hopefully I figured it out!

When you place your ruler on the sewn seam, are you cutting from one corner to the other corner? In other owrds, is the cut from corner to corner? It seems to me the only way you will get unequal results is if the cut is offset from the corner.

Just curious, but what ruler are you using?

Edit: Just realized that you are talking about sewing long strips together. Ignore my comments!

athenagwis 10-14-2011 07:55 AM

I was going to say the same that perhaps the seam is not consistent, I know that happens to me quite a bit especially toward the edges. Not sure how to solve the problem. Does the tube lay completely flat when you have the two sides sewn? If the side with the 2 strips is a bit longer than the other side and causes a little bubble, that could do it too.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Good luck!
Rachel

nannyrick 10-14-2011 07:57 AM

Yes this is from the same strip, and my strips are cut from the Accuquilt Go.

QuiltE 10-14-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I had to read that several times; hopefully I figured it out!

When you place your ruler on the sewn seam, are you cutting from one corner to the other corner? In other owrds, is the cut from corner to corner? It seems to me the only way you will get unequal results is if the cut is offset from the corner.

Just curious, but what ruler are you using?

Edit: Just realized that you are talking about sewing long strips together. Ignore my comments!

Believe it or not ... it still makes sense with the tubes! You have to make sure you position that ruler properly every time, or else ........ ooops! (can you tell, I've been there, and learned very quickly, when cutting my avatar quilt????:))

quiltmouse 10-14-2011 09:50 AM

Are you varying which position you cut from, edge of fabric compared to stitching line?

Vivian Ketron 10-14-2011 11:37 AM

The pattern I used called for 2-2/12 in stips and 1- 41/4 in strip. I'm thinking. I may be wrong its been a while since i tried it.

BellaBoo 10-14-2011 02:33 PM

Are you ironing the pieces after you cut them? The bias edges will distort very easy. I learned never to iron bias edges.