Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please share your Homemade/repurposed sewing tables! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-share-your-homemade-repurposed-sewing-tables-t203255.html)

RugosaB 10-18-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by pheasantduster (Post 5590158)
Great comments on using dining table.

I thought this was kind of funny because my sewing room used to be the dining room!

dahlshouse 10-21-2012 12:13 PM

I love this idea... one of these days I might be able to get my crafty son to create something like this for me... [QUOTE=RugosaB;5594356]

Originally Posted by RugosaB (Post 5593748)
I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, but basically:
We bought 2 unfinished kitchen base cabinets at Home Depot, that he took off the toe kick. That, coupled with the 2 in base that he made for my foot pedal, results in everything being the right height for me
Built a shelf connecting the 2 that the machine sits on, with a hole in the counter top, so it is recessed
That by itself is a good sized table, but he added another 2 1/2 ft x 4 ft top that's on hinges, so it folds down. So far, it Got the pics:

Yarn or Fabric 10-21-2012 01:29 PM

I really really want to get my sewing machine recessed... I just got a Juki 2000 and I know I want it to set in.... or I need to get a riser of some sort to put my foot pedal on... My Juki will fit in to the table for my Tin Lizzie but there wouldn't be a cut out for the knee lift... I have some thinking to do. I will probably be looking for a cheap desk or table that I can cut apart :D

misskira 10-21-2012 02:22 PM

Thank you for all the great ideas! While Halloween costume shopping for my littles today I was looking for a farm style table. Instead we found a sewing table with drawers and a recessed spot for machines, and the back half has a drop down leaf. It's made of real wood and has a wood insert in case there isn't a machine in it. It needs a little refinishing and new drawer pulls but I think it will work well. Best of all it was only $20! Now I need to find a place to make some plexiglass inserts.

misskira 10-21-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric (Post 5602118)
I really really want to get my sewing machine recessed... I just got a Juki 2000 and I know I want it to set in.... or I need to get a riser of some sort to put my foot pedal on... My Juki will fit in to the table for my Tin Lizzie but there wouldn't be a cut out for the knee lift... I have some thinking to do. I will probably be looking for a cheap desk or table that I can cut apart :D

Ohhh I forgot about the knee lift! I will have to have dh drill a hole. My new table will used both for my featherweight and my brother. The brother has a knee lift that I love.

jgriinke 10-21-2012 03:20 PM

My dear husband redid an old metal office desk for me. It's the old style with 2 drawers on one side and 3 on the other. We took the middle drawer out and threw it away. In place of that, he cut a rectangle that fits my machine and built a drop down area that my machine fits in.
It cost nothing and works like a charm.

carolaug 10-23-2012 01:01 AM

Wow.....this was such an interesting thread!!!! so many cool ideas!