Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please share your tips when using flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-share-your-tips-when-using-flannel-t204695.html)

LavenderBlue 10-30-2012 07:44 PM

Please share your tips when using flannel

Besides preshrinking and using a 1/2" seam allowance, do you have any other suggestions/tips when sewing/quilting with flannel? I would like to use it as the backing on my next quilt. THX in advance!

stillclock 10-30-2012 08:25 PM

those are the best tips.

i love flannel backings so much!

i recently used the left over bits of years of pyjama flannel. i was nervous about the quality, but then as i thought about it....i wash and dry jams about 5000000 times before they tear. why would using them in a quilt be a bad idea? the quilts get washed maybe twice a year right?

i think it's pretty ugly, but by the time i got here i just wanted to sleep under it. it's growing on me, warm night by warm night!

aileen

Prism99 10-30-2012 08:43 PM

If you plan to machine quilt, my best tip is to heavily starch the flannel backing before layering. This will stabilize the flannel so you don't get puckers and tucks. My method is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this on with a large wall painting brush, wait a few minutes to make sure that the flannel absorbs the starch, toss in dryer, then iron with steam.

kitsykeel 10-30-2012 09:28 PM

Thanks for that tip. Never thought to do that.

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5624780)
If you plan to machine quilt, my best tip is to heavily starch the flannel backing before layering. This will stabilize the flannel so you don't get puckers and tucks. My method is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this on with a large wall painting brush, wait a few minutes to make sure that the flannel absorbs the starch, toss in dryer, then iron with steam.

TexasSunshine 10-31-2012 04:13 AM

As a follow up on this question, do you LA folks have any tips for sewing with flannel. Either using all flannel, cotton on top and flannel on bottom or combining.

PaperPrincess 10-31-2012 04:56 AM

As far as pre washing goes, make sure you wash it until it stops shrinking. Measure it before you start and when you take it out of the dryer (both wof, and cut length measurements). I've had several pieces that took 3 wash dry cycles before it was done shrinking. The up side is that it will get thicker and softer with each washing.
I lightly starched my flannel backing and had no issues long arming it.

asimplelife 10-31-2012 06:01 AM

I wash and dry flannel 3X to make sure it's done shrinking too. Then I spray starch it. I love using flannel for backings! I bought some adorable teacup/coffee mug flannel years ago to make cute pj's from which I just came across, might have to put that on my winter to-do list.

feline fanatic 10-31-2012 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine (Post 5625047)
As a follow up on this question, do you LA folks have any tips for sewing with flannel. Either using all flannel, cotton on top and flannel on bottom or combining.

I recently completed an almost all flannel quilt. All but a few borders were flannel. I didn't treat it any differently than I treat any other quilting fabric I use. I prewashed only once and used a 1/4 seam allowance. both front and back were pieced. I used only LQS quality flannel which tends to shrink less and not fray as badly as less expensive flannels. They are noticibly thicker and did not shrink too much in the prewash. there was a small bit on the back which was a walmart flannel sheet. I used that to get my backing big enough for loading and some of it ended up visible on the back. I had no problems. It did, however, weigh a ton! How it holds up to washing remains to be seen. It was gifted to my brother so I am sure I will hear about it if it starts falling apart.

I LA it on my Innova. My rack is a 4 pole/roller rack so I have no issues with tons of seams on the backing. Other LA, those that only have a 3 pole rack, may and would curse a back as heavily pieced as mine was. But it was my own quilt and my own LA so I took as many liberties as I wanted. :)
As an aside, when customers give me pieced backs it doesn't bother me either. I just give up front warning I can't perfectly center it over the front. I will do my best and usually come within a few inches but it won't be exact.

Here is a link to pictures I posted of it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t200665.html

alwayslearning 10-31-2012 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by asimplelife (Post 5625270)
I wash and dry flannel 3X to make sure it's done shrinking too. Then I spray starch it. I love using flannel for backings! I bought some adorable teacup/coffee mug flannel years ago to make cute pj's from which I just came across, might have to put that on my winter to-do list.

Oops! I am quilting one now with flannel back and only pre-washed once. I'll see what happens. Live and learn.

An Arm Long 10-31-2012 06:42 AM

On my LA, I have found that flannel on the back is harder to do with ruler work. The pressure on the ruler causes the flannel to want to cling to the base. You have to have a light touch on the ruler.