Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please stop me from dreaming.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-stop-me-dreaming-t32036.html)

Ninnie 12-21-2009 10:27 AM

All quilters dream of quilts LOL
so go ahead, and put that pocket in!!

Shemjo 12-21-2009 10:34 AM

I think we quilt for the love of it, not for the profit!
Live to DREAM!

Tiffany 12-21-2009 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I think people that make a profit quilting are rare. And even those who do profit over the cost of materials and such are generally not making much for their labor.

Quilters quilt because they like to quilt.

I agree. Sadly, my DH and MIL believe I can make a fortune with my quilting. I'm going to make up some stuff and prove to them that it really isn't worthwhile. However, if it does work out, I will gladly apologize to them. If it does about as well as I expect, at least I will have plenty of Christmas gifts for next year. ;)

marsye 12-22-2009 04:39 AM

Dream on! :thumbup:

Bevanger 12-22-2009 06:44 AM

I think we all go thru that (dreaming). It sounds like your defintly hooked

CajunQuilter2 12-22-2009 07:11 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my another one bites the dust!!! I hate to tell ya but it only gets better. :lol: :lol: Welcome to the addiction!!!

FinelyFabricated 12-22-2009 07:41 AM

I checked into joining a cooperative a different artisans who have a shop in a local mall. To be considered you have to do a juried exhibition. After the exhibition and I was accepted, I was told the cost. The woman in charge of running the store, proudly told me she makes about $1 (one dollar) on average an hour.

I told her no thank you and walked away. I sell bowls boxes and other small items on Etsy and it takes more time to advertise than to make most of the items.

Nancy in Louisiana 12-22-2009 08:27 AM

Sometimes I have more fun looking at patterns and pictures than I do actually sewing. I love to plan in my mind - would never live long enough to actually make everything.But keep a written list going as a reminder of all those great ideas (like the hidden zipper, which really sounds neat). The problem with selling craft items is that sure as anything someone will pick the most difficult or your least favorite and want four of them, all alike. Kind of jumps you from a home crafter to mass production, and where's the fun in that?

barnbum 12-22-2009 09:30 AM

Weeelll...I dreamed of making enough money from selling a few foals every other year to pay for the horse hobby. Didn't work. So, I decided to make more quilts and sell those to pay for the horses. Didn't work. Thank goodness I have a good job! :-D I still dream and am having an awful lot of fun in the meantime--in the barn and in the sewing room. ;)

You never know till you try.

momto4 12-22-2009 10:33 AM

Quilting is not for profit IMHO. It is more for yourself... something you enjoy that makes you feel good and to create something out of nothing. I give quilted gifts to my family and they all LOVE them. Just a thought :)