Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/plz-what-did-i-do-wrong-quilt-t237476.html)

lb70542 12-26-2013 04:46 PM

Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt?

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first and last pieced diamond star pattern.. what have I done wrong?this is the most awful quilting have ever made. I'm embarrassed to post a pic but that's the only way y'all can tell me where I went wrong.
Thank you all for your time looking
loretta

nativetexan 12-26-2013 04:53 PM

mainly it looks like your side triangles and corners are too small. if you made them larger and even had to trim, you'd have better chance of getting those star points to remain safe from being trimmed off!

snipforfun 12-26-2013 04:58 PM

Perhaps your seams need to be narrower so there would be 1/4" below the points. Not unusual to have to trim setting triangles once the seams are right.

NJ Quilter 12-26-2013 04:58 PM

I agree with nativetexan. Cutting oversize and trimming always helps. Do you have more background fabric to re-do those pieces? When I did my lonestar, I did it via strip piecing and it was quite easy. Sorry you've had such a difficult time with this.

Geri B 12-26-2013 05:01 PM

Also it looks like the center star is a bit wonky......

lb70542 12-26-2013 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 6475701)
Also it looks like the center star is a bit wonky......

Yes Geri ....They are very very wonky!!!

IrishNY 12-26-2013 05:50 PM

Did the center star line up properly before you set in the side triangles and corners? I would begin there. If not, you probably didn't have consistent 1/4" seams. If so, then the rest of the star will line up and you will have to redo the side triangles and corners. The previous posters are correct - it is easier to make them bigger and trim. It will take some re-working but the colors are beautiful and it will be stunning even if it's not perfect. I'll take it if you really don't want it. lol

cjsews 12-26-2013 06:02 PM

Looks like the center is off. I hate to say this but I would unsew the diamond sections. Pin each section together at all seams. If it looks off before you sew, spray with starch and gently hold the iron over the piece to get it back to the shape you need. Working with all those bias edges can be a pain but it is going to look so good when you get it done.

BellaBoo 12-26-2013 06:03 PM

I wouldn't stress over it. I learned to do the easy way when doing a star quilt like that. I fuse the star to a big over size square background and machine or hand applique it down. No lost points when trimming the background and everything is nice and square.

Tartan 12-26-2013 06:20 PM

The Lone Star pattern can be difficult to get perfect. You can either cut bigger background pieces or redesign it. How about taking the background off, separate the star into two halves and appliqué the two halves on either side of a whole piece of fabric. The center of the star would be on the straight edge of the whole cloth with the arms across from each other for a new design. The fabrics are very pretty together in the star. Someone posted a picture of their star quilt with the star set on one side of a whole background and it was beautiful.