Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Points and Seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/points-seams-t83418.html)

kakels 12-17-2010 07:09 AM

I am trying to do the Chrismas Stars pattern from freepatterns. I was very careful to cut the pieces precisly, but I can't get the seams to meet and the points crisp. I pin, double and triple check before I sew and it still is off. Not much, but the contrast in colors really makes it show. I'm a beginner, maybe it's too hard of a pattern for me?

KayT 12-17-2010 07:14 AM

It can be tough to line up star points with overlapping the corners to get them to come out correctly. I am sure you will figure it out. Why not check for a tutorial online. Good luck. I am sure you will figure it out.

dungeonquilter 12-17-2010 07:15 AM

When pinning the points, place a pin vertical through the point and through the matching point. Holding the pin vertical, place a pin normal way on each side of the pin. Remove vertical pin.
When sewing the points, try to sew a couple of threads outside (into the seam allowance) the point. This will leave enough for the fold, leaving the point showing.

JenniePenny 12-17-2010 07:18 AM

Good cutting, as you are doing, is only half the battle.

The second half of the battle is to make sure that your seam allowance is exactly 1/4 inch. Most machines are not set to do this by default, EVEN if you are fortunate to have a 1/4 foot. Take two scrap 2" squares of fabric and sew them together. Then using a reliable ruler, not your cutting mat measurements, measure what the length of the finished unit. It should be 3.5". If your unit is smaller than this, it means your seam allowance is too large.

Some machines allow you to press a button to change the needle position. Mine has to be clicked twice to get the needle moved over enough to the right to make a 1/4" seam.

The pattern isn't too hard, because you are so conscientious and you are doing everything else right!

Good luck.

nativetexan 12-17-2010 07:20 AM

also, you might cut another star out of scraps and practice on that. so if you sew and must rip out and resew until you get it right, you won't mess up your good fabric.
good luck.

Candace 12-17-2010 07:20 AM

JenniePenny is right!

Deb watkins 12-17-2010 07:26 AM

Wouldn't it be great if the more experienced quilters could make a house call to the newbies and do some hands-on help? I would love to do that, but most are sooooooo far away!

sahm4605 12-17-2010 07:42 AM

I found with the star points I had to sew just to the right of the intersection to get them to come out right. it is I think called a scant 1/4" for this. it is the only way other than starching the snot out of my fabric to get the points to be right. or even close to being right. hope this helps.

kathy 12-17-2010 07:54 AM

hold it at arms length, if it doesn't stand out and scream at you let it go, it will be more enjoyable for you, no matter how experienced we get, we still have some of those patterns that just won't come out perfect no matter how hard we try.
good luck

kakels 12-17-2010 08:17 AM

You are right JenniePennie! I just did your test and my machine is sewing to the next mark on the ruler bigger than 1/4 inch. (5/16 I think?)

How do I fix this?