Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   polar fleece backing on long arm, help please... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/polar-fleece-backing-long-arm-help-please-t215684.html)

Nilla 03-06-2013 05:26 PM

polar fleece backing on long arm, help please...

I'm using polar fleece (I think that's what it's called. It's really thick, almost spongy) as a backing for a baby quilt. I have to use a white batting, probably Warm and Natural White, in between because the colors of the backing will show through onto the front otherwise.

I'm not sure if I need to use special care loading the fleece. Someone told me be careful not to stretch it too much, but is there a better direction to load it? I'm planning to do an all over stipple. I'm still new to long arming, so I welcome any advice/input. As always, thanks in advance!

ribbbbons 03-06-2013 05:51 PM

Don't be shy, just treat it like regular fabric, and of course don't pull or yank on it, and it will be fine. I use it all the time.

Lin

alleyoop1 03-07-2013 05:26 AM

I wouldn't use batting with a thick fleece backing. Can't you do something else so the colors don't shine through - like get a more neutral color fleece?
Don't stretch the fleece when loading it and check it each time you advance it to be sure you don't have ripples. A mirror is a great tool for this - or you can crawl under the frame!! :-)

Nilla 03-07-2013 06:02 AM

Alley, I'm making this quilt for my first grandchild and my daughter has very particular plans for what she wants, how she wants it and when she wants it. She's had such a difficult time with this pregnancy, so I just want to give her what she's asking for. I hadn't planned to use batting. I don't think it's at all necessary, but she wants particular colors and patterns and it will show through.

maverick 03-07-2013 06:07 AM

I never use batting with my fleece backing ... makes it way too warm. You could use flannel just be sure to wash it in hot and dry in hot so it shrinks. Fleece on a longarm is easy. Just dont make your sandwich too tight and smooth as you go. Good Luck

soccertxi 03-07-2013 06:10 AM

Nilla,

I have used fleece a couple times and LOVED the result. I loaded the selvage edge on the rollers. Don't tighten the rollers taut. I even had a bit of a sag in there. I"m not sure I would use a batt...I am thinking it would be pretty heavy, so maybe something thin? Warm and White is good..or maybe a thin poly. I even have quilted two layers of fleece for a throw and fringed the edges. I have a new machine on order, so will make a couple of those for practice when it arrives!

maryb119 03-07-2013 06:12 AM

I have used fleece as a backing and put a very light weight poly batt in the middle per customer request. It makes a very heavy but warm quilt. The customer was very happy with it and so was I. It is not hard to work with at all. Just be careful not to stretch it.

crashnquilt 03-07-2013 07:04 AM

With using fleece as you backing, I would not put any batting in the quilt. To prevent show thru I would suggest two layers of flannel. The fleece will give "poof" to the quilt.

Nilla 03-07-2013 07:41 AM

Are you saying I should use the super thick polar fleece as the backing, then use maybe a thinner white fleece as batting rather than regular batting?

To be honest, I was looking at the quilt top more this morning and it's only the 1 inch inner border of pale yellow gingham that the blue dotted backing would show through. Since it's only an inch, maybe it will just look like shadowing, so it's safe to use no batting at all. What do you think?

sap 03-07-2013 09:24 AM

I suggest you use a white cotton, instead of fleece or flannel, as the quilt would to heavy for the baby.