Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Poly/Cotton blends (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/poly-cotton-blends-t252950.html)

maviskw 09-04-2014 05:15 AM

I made two quilts for grandkids with a sheet on both sides. (Mom's choice.) That was more than 10 years ago, and those quilts spent two years on a boat in the Caribbean. They are still around and the fabric is still whole.

tammyg 09-04-2014 05:22 AM

Thanks to everyone for your comments.... I have actually learned some things that I never thought of....so for now on when making quilts other then my scrappies, I will diffidently stick to one or the other.... won't mix the cotton and the blends...... :-)

illinois 09-04-2014 05:35 AM

I agree with you. I like the sheen of poly/cotton and the dyes seem more permanent. Blacks especially. Just like the poly/cotton threads, I think the fabrics are stronger.

Billi 09-04-2014 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 6871753)
I'm a big fan of the "if you like it, do it" group of quilters.

I love this! And I agree!

tammyg 09-04-2014 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by tammyg (Post 6873856)
Thanks to everyone for your comments.... I have actually learned some things that I never thought of....so for now on when making quilts other then my scrappies, I will diffidently stick to one or the other.... won't mix the cotton and the blends...... :-)

But I do need to add to this..... I have always mixed my fabrics, and so far have not had any problems.....other then, I have noticed the cotton has faded some.... which is no problem for me.....But I still like the poly/cotton blends better....As long as I can sew something together to make a beautiful quilt...............???? I'm good.... ;-)

Halo 09-04-2014 10:35 AM

I make a lot of memory quilts out of loved ones clothing. They are not all cotton or the same thickness of fabric. I put backing on the thinner fabrics & they turn out fantastic. I don't limit myself to just one fabric. I use just about everything in these types of quilts. Some quilts I will use all cotton or all poly/cotton blend, but not always. It is what you prefer to use. Just don't let the quilt police know. :~) All is fare in love (sew) & war (quilt).

bearisgray 09-04-2014 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart (Post 6871795)
Poly cotton pills over time with washing, and it is hot.

I have some cotton-poly sheets that have been in use for years - and are getting very thin in the middle - and they are as soft and smooth as can be.

Jingle 09-04-2014 12:01 PM

Years ago I used leftover poly blend fabrics from sewing clothes. Poly blend fabrics look very good for a long time past the looks of 100% cotton fabrics. I have some I plan to use. I make quilts now from 100% cotton because I have many, many yards of it.
You can make your quilt however you want and use whatever fabrics you want to use.

GrannieAnnie 09-04-2014 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by tammyg (Post 6871659)
I like Poly/Cotton blends better then 100% cotton..... I deal with all kinds of material, and so far have not had any problems with my quilts from other materials..... I always wash n dry before using... Don't get me wrong.... I like the 100% cotton too, but it's not the only thing I use..... Anyone else out there like me? :-)

I have no problem at all working with poly-cotton blends. If I like the fabric, I'll use it. Not combined with 100% cotton, but with other poly-cotton

RN-Quilter 09-04-2014 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by tammyg (Post 6873916)
....As long as I can sew something together to make a beautiful quilt...............???? I'm good.... ;-)

I agree 100%!! Ignore the snobs!