Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Polyester batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/polyester-batting-t54770.html)

Mary M 07-18-2010 03:26 PM

I bought some 80/20 to try. Usually buy the warm and natural but this should give me a little fluff which I like for quilts that will be used. It does say that it will shrink 2%.

Linda1 07-18-2010 03:32 PM

I buy poly batting on a 70 yard roll for $72.00 from Wilson Sales in Boaz, Alabama. I have done a lot of quilts with it for all my customers and have never had any complaints so far (knock on wood). When I was quilting full time for other people I would order 5 rolls at a time but now I drive the 2 hours and get 2 at a time.

Farm Quilter 07-18-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by dvseals
Also cotton doesn't melt when an Iron touches it where poly on the other hand can make a mess when an iron gets too close.

Also, cotton doesn't melt and catch fire when it is used under or over an electric blanket.

lnikkers52 07-18-2010 04:06 PM

if you do chairty quilt they don't want you to use poly . an alergic thing and it's melts in case of fire.

tryitall 07-18-2010 04:14 PM

That's me all over again.

pieces 07-18-2010 04:21 PM

I like the polyester batting. It really puffs after being machine quilted. I think it holds up well after repeated washings that a crib/lap quilt require.

gaillynne 07-18-2010 04:23 PM

poly is very hard to work with and won't look as nice. After you spend the time and money making a beautiful top, poly can ruin it.

deranged_damsel 07-18-2010 04:38 PM

I make mostly baby quilts. poly is a no no with newborns because it dosent breath and can over heat a small child.

I like cotton because it is warmer, drapes better, feels more cuddly. I LOVE cotton because it is perfect for the babies!!!

rndelling 07-18-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by lnikkers52
if you do chairty quilt they don't want you to use poly . an alergic thing and it's melts in case of fire.

I have volunteered at Project Linus and they use polyester batting and tie their quilts with polyester yarn.

kwiltkrazy 07-18-2010 05:44 PM

Wow, talk about learning something new every day, so many things I didn't know.

I have used all kinds if batting, but my preference is warm and natural, I like the feel, there is no smell, you can iron on it, and you don't have to quilt as dense. But, I also like the fact that it is natural, and is not made from petroelum products. I rarely use poly because of that, but I did use it when I did my first trapunto project, because that is what everyone suggested. It looked beautiful, but it was a wall hanging, and no one would be bundled up in it. I only do machine quilting so so many things that would bother a hand quilter are not important to me. Another reason I don't use poly is that my husband is a asthmatic, and he swears he can smell the poly, and it bothers him.

I felt some of the bamboo batting, I think I would use that in a instant, because it feels like silk, and it is very green to the environment. That is very important to me. But it is so expensive, there is no way I could afford it with all the quilts that I make.

I have never heaard of the batting made from plastic bottles.

Like I said, you learn something new everyday. Thank you all for all the info.