Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Polyester polo in a tee shirt quilt. Is this madness? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/polyester-polo-tee-shirt-quilt-madness-t279905.html)

Kelly_Y 06-24-2016 08:54 PM

Polyester polo in a tee shirt quilt. Is this madness?

So I've recently retired from a volunteer office. The badge of office for this was a all-polyester knit polo with a fancy logo embroidered on the chest. If I wanted to cut off the 5"x3" logo for use in a tee shirt quilt, how can I make it less stretchy and more workable? Is it even possible to do with an all-polyester knit?

scrapnut 06-24-2016 08:58 PM

You need to put some type of fusible interfacing. Select one that will add stability without making your block STIFF. Take it from me, don't use the lightweight type interfacing. I'm dealing with that now and it is a battle.

ManiacQuilter2 06-24-2016 09:13 PM

T-shirts are stretchable so most quilters back it with fusible. I use the Featherweight Pellon 906F that is available at JAF. I don't know why scrapnut is having problem with the lightweight interfacing. I made over a dozen of these t-shirt quilts and never had a problem.

Kelly_Y 06-24-2016 09:25 PM

I've had no problems using fusibles with all-cotton and mostly-cotton tees. So no major change for an all-poly shirt?

Bree123 06-25-2016 01:16 AM

I use Pellon stabilizer & it doesn't bond well with poly. For poly, I use Heat'n'Bond and lightweight muslin. Heat'n'Bond fuses at a lower temp so it works better with polyester fabrics. I have yet to find/hear of a fusible stabilizer that consistently works well with synthetic fabrics ... if you find one, let me know. :)
Sometimes I get lucky & the Pellon works -- just depends if you're willing to risk ruining your fabric to find out.

cindi 06-25-2016 02:38 AM

Pellon 904F should work fine. I've used it in tons of quilts with polyester shirts without any problems. If you're worried about the way it will work with the shirt, try it out on a section of shirt you won't be using in the quilt, like the sleeve.

yel 06-25-2016 03:52 AM

sometimes if i just have one ""logo'' i just put it on the front after the top is done applique it on kinda over a corner for visual interest....

bernamom 06-25-2016 06:37 AM

I have used an 'Under Armor' hoodie in a t-shirt quilt. I used lightweight pellon fusible and it worked fine. I would test your fusible on a part of the shirt that you aren't going to use, until you find one that adheres well.

Pinkquilter59 06-26-2016 05:00 AM

I have done several tee shirt quilts, and I use the stabilizer they sell at the Quilt Shop. It is special for tee shirts and it's 12 inches wide. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of it. It works perfectly.

meanmom 06-26-2016 05:00 AM

I used several polyester shirts and a cheerleading uniform in my last t-shirt quilt. The cheerleading uniform was several layers of polyester.It came out find. My favorite fusible is sf-101. It is a thin cotton fusible that I get at JoAnns. I have put all kinds of thins in a t-shirt quilt. My friend cut part of a ball cap off and put it in hers.