Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portable bobbin winders - yea or ney? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-bobbin-winders-yea-ney-t25617.html)

mytwopals 09-24-2009 09:53 AM

I don't own one and haven't found a need for one, yet. I just fill up a number of bobbins, before I begin sewing. So, I guess I'm a "nay".

I do like the pill bottle idea. I have anumber of them all saved up. I guess now, I'll have to start putting them to good use.

quiltersew 09-24-2009 09:59 AM

I always wondered about those gadgets?????
I also use old pill bottles when I change my needles and when they get full then I toss the full bottle away....No one gets stuck...

Pzazz 09-24-2009 10:53 AM

Having spent the better part of 30 years making evening wear and lingerie, often doing "assembly line" sewing, it is habit to fill several bobbins before starting any project. I agree with the gal that said she would rather spend the money on more fabric!! :wink: And I like the idea of the pill bottles. We always have empties. :D

busiacam 09-24-2009 11:36 AM

I am a definite YEA! I bought mine at full price...DUH!...but have it hooked up to the power cord so it is handy at all times. I use it to fill all the bobbins ahead of time for each project. I have a Viking, Brother, Singer and Janome that I have used it for and have not had any problems with it. It is so much easier than threading/unthreading and having to move my table extensions to use the winder on my Viking.
Make sure you use a coupon to purchase it or buy one from the ladies on this site that have one and don't use theirs.
I 'store' my wound bobbins on the extra spindles for thread on my machines. Makes finding them easier.
Chris from AZ

mare 09-24-2009 12:55 PM

Thought I couldn't live without it as I am a gadget junkie. I wish I had saved my money. Bobbins are would enevenly and loose. :(

bwalden 09-24-2009 01:15 PM

If you do machine embroidery, they are great for not having to stop and wind a bobbin when you are in the middle of a design and thought you had enough bobbin but didn't. The $20 I spent on sale was worth it in less aggravation :!:

mare 09-24-2009 01:20 PM

Sidewinder is the one I have. Yuck!! :roll:

Butterflyspain 09-24-2009 01:49 PM

Well as a new owner of the Sidewinder I think its great, It winds evenly and have only used it with the batteries in. Its quick and works with my Brother and Toyota machines.

Elle

isewhegolf 09-24-2009 02:09 PM

I bought one and was grateful that it was on sale. After using it, I decided it wasn't even worth the sale price. Boxed it back up and gave it as a retreat prize, hoping the recipient liked it better than I did.
I really found that the machine's bobbin winder works much better

Mousie 09-24-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ERhausfrau
YEA! I have one and I love it. I bought extra bobbins for my machine and used the empty prescription bottles from my husband's pills. I mark the prescription bottle with white, grey, off white, empty. I fill the filled bobbins and put them in the marked bottle. Then when I use up a bobbin, I put it in the "empty" bottle and continue to do that until I am out of filled bobbins (of the color I am using). Then I just take some relaxing time, fill up all the bobbins and I am good to go for at least three quilts. No problem, no wasting time, refilling the bobbin, there is always one there for me!

I think the bobbin winder is the next best thing to the Calcu-Quilt. I love that thing too. Edie

hey, what a great idea, Edie. pill bottles, we have :wink: