Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   portable project (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-project-t51028.html)

ktbb 06-23-2010 03:48 PM

I have always done my projects on machines, which makes it difficult to do on an airplane or in a doctor's office and I'm ready to start a new project/learn a new skill in order to have one to carry with me.

What is your favorite portable project?

Kathy N 06-23-2010 03:51 PM

Applique is good. I use my "portable" time to trace shapes for applique onto the fusible web.

mlaceruby 06-23-2010 03:52 PM

Grandmothers Flower Garden
I can take a baggie with some hexagons,thread,needle and scissors and I am ready to go!

cmagee84 06-23-2010 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I have always done my projects on machines, which makes it difficult to do on an airplane or in a doctor's office and I'm ready to start a new project/learn a new skill in order to have one to carry with me.

I too am looking for a portable project and have been considering the Grandmothers flower garden.

Yarn or Fabric 06-23-2010 03:54 PM

I'm a crocheter so I usually have yarn and a hook with me - and my notepad for writing down my design directions that I'm working on...

Right now I'm working on a fairy for Caron yarns with a new yarn of theirs. I like sparkly stuff :D

Chele 06-23-2010 03:54 PM

Hexies for sure! Also embroidery.

ckcowl 06-23-2010 04:12 PM

check out paperpieces.com
they have tons of different shapes to use for the same style of sewing as the grandma's flower garden...i did tumbling blocks as a traverer that was wonderful and there are lots of others. i love having a traverler ready for any time i get to ride instead of drive or in dr. offices, where ever there is a wait!
they also have free design sheets you can print off and color with colored pencils, and use to design your project ;)

Tiffany 06-23-2010 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb

I tend to panic when I don't have hand work, especially since I don't sit quietly very well, so I tend to have several projects prepared. I always have applique, usually from several different projects that I can work on. I will also take along quilts that need the binding on them finished; same with labels. I will also drag along a quilt that I'm hand quilting. I'm just beginning to get into English paper piecing so I imagine I'll have a few of those to take with me within a few weeks.

Minda 06-23-2010 04:26 PM

Cathedral Windows is a great portable project. When you are finished, the quilt is done - no batting, backing, or quilting. Just keep adding blocks until it's the size you want.

lots2do 06-23-2010 04:28 PM

Yo-yos are fun and very easy.