Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portable sewing kit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-sewing-kit-t211007.html)

DOTTYMO 01-15-2013 12:45 AM

Portable sewing kit

Now you have a list of requirements how do you tranort them to class? Do any of you have exciting holders for these notions.?

AnnieH 01-15-2013 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing exciting DottyMo, just a few of these zippy bags. I made a fancy roll up thingy but find that keeping a bag for threads, one for scissors/cutter etc works better for me. My list changes according to what I intend to do, be it machine or hand sewing and what my current project needs. I add a small bottle of water as I never seem to get the time to make enough tea for the day and end up dehydrated. Maybe we talk too much at my guild!

Annie

marsharini 01-15-2013 03:23 AM

I use an oversized tote bag and then organize the small stuff in inexpensive plastic containers.

mic-pa 01-15-2013 03:30 AM

I just bought those little plastic boxes that snap together from Joann's and it sits beside my machine here at home so I just pick it up and I am good to go.

bsquilter 01-15-2013 04:04 AM

Sew Happy has a thing that opened has four zippered pockets. The you roll it up and it makes a 4" square by 8"s. I can get everything I neeed for sew days or retreat in this with no problem, and it is compact enought that it packs easily. I don't put thread in it, but pins, cutters, pencils, small scissors ... fit easily.
It also has a nice handle on top for easy carring or hanging on a hook.

BellaBoo 01-15-2013 06:00 AM

I buy pretty suitcase boxes at Tuesday Morning Store. They are so pretty and come in all sizes. I have a lot and keep UFOs and WIPs in them. I also several one of the extra large African Baskets (sold at every quilt show) and use that to tote supplies to guild and workshops.

QuiltE 01-15-2013 06:09 AM

Nothing exciting ... I have a market basket (cloth sides with metal frame and handles, and a zip lid) that all the bits and pieces are in. Most stay there in between times, so I don't have to remember them for the next outing. Inside I have an assortment of zip bags that began their lives as pencil cases in the $ $tore and have a clear window front so I know what is in there. Let's me consolidate similar things.

Most everything can fit inside, including my sewing machine pedal and cords, water, coffee mug, lunch, small cutting mat/rulers. Of course, not the sewing machine ... nor large cutting mats/rulers, which most times we do not need to take.

I find that most places I go, do not have much space for each of us, so this basket sits on the floor while I'm there and I can easily reach into it or lift it up to the table. The zip top prevents my losing things en route ... and protects from the weather.

zennia 01-15-2013 06:18 AM

I have the plastc containers that snap together. I put all my tools in them,needles.ripper etc. Then I put fabric etc in a bigger plastic container with handle on top to put fabric etc. in then the one that snaps together fits in ,snap and offI go.

running1 01-15-2013 06:18 AM

My quilty friend and I found nifty plastic divided totes with snap lids and a handle... Artbin... we've found them at Hobby Lobby (I think) and at our LQS... they have different divides and sizes... we also use the $1.29 variety of plastic pencil boxes (found at KMart) for small/intermediate sharps... our rotary cutters and small scissors fit perfectly. I use another one for marking pencils, but that one is in my hand quilting bin...

mighty 01-15-2013 06:34 AM

I just saw a really nice carry all from keepshake quilting for around 49.00 it was really cool!