Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portrait quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portrait-quilt-t267489.html)

feline fanatic 07-12-2015 04:56 AM

Portrait quilt

2 Attachment(s)
The end of the month I am taking a two day class in portrait quilting. The class is focused on doing pet portraits, called Best Friend portrait class. It will be fusible applique type with satin stitch and also have thread painting but I am really not sure how we are going to get to the thread painting part by the 2nd day unless the instructor really simplifies the pattern. We need to send her a picture and she prepares the pattern for us ahead of time. I am hoping that once I see the pattern I will be able to figure out how to do it myself so I can capture all of my fur babies. Here is a link to her site so you can see the style she does
http://heartsdesirequilts.blogspot.com/

Here is the picture I selected. This is Woolybear (aka woozle) my 15 year old Norwegian Forest cat. (he is one of 4 cats I have) He is an indoor cat but we did the photo shoot outside so I wouldn't get any red eye. Those of you who have done portrait quilts, do you think this photo is a good candidate?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524911[/ATTACH]

And this is the picture I want to attempt on my own of my two Shiloh Shepherds, Inigo and Keuka. That is if I like the technique and am happy with the way Woolybear's portrait quilt turns out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524912[/ATTACH]
Stay tuned, I will post pics of Wooly bear when he is done.

notmorecraft 07-12-2015 06:27 AM

Keep us updated your shepherds are georgous x

MarLeClair 07-12-2015 06:48 AM

Omg! That is a whole lot of hair. I thought my "family" was hairy. Three cats and one dog.

feline fanatic 07-12-2015 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair (Post 7254611)
Omg! That is a whole lot of hair. I thought my "family" was hairy. Three cats and one dog.

LOL yes and all of them but one cat are long haired! And did I mention the dogs are 100 pounders? When I groom the dogs it often looks like a small animal met a rather gruesome demise with all the fluff scattered out on the lawn from them. I have dust bunnies (made of fur not dust!) and hairballs that could scare a small child! LOL Which is why no animals are permitted in my sewing room or LA room and the dogs aren't even allowed upstairs.

nanna-up-north 07-12-2015 07:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since you're sharing pictures of your fur babies, I'll show mine. Here's Gus in all his glory..... always ready for a ride.

I'm so curious about the technique you will learn. I'd love to make a quilt of our past fur-babies just to honor them. They become such precious members of our families. Do keep us posted, okay?

Tartan 07-12-2015 07:11 AM

I do think it is a good picture of your cat. You have interest in the contrast of sky and green but I might eliminate the red pot just so you can get a clear line on the stone wall/post. He also has good fur contrast that will make for a good portrait. I also might fool around with removing the post behind him for a clear break between his fur and the dark post. I am sure your instructor will give you lots of suggestions.

calla 07-12-2015 07:13 AM

nanna, if I wasn't married I would want to date that cute fella,.............nice pic.....calla

GemState 07-12-2015 08:16 AM

What a beautiful cat! And handsome dogs! But nana up north's dog, ready for a ride, makes me laugh out loud! Thanks for sharing!

Pollytink 07-12-2015 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7254519)
Here is the picture I selected. This is Woolybear (aka woozle) my 15 year old Norwegian Forest cat. (he is one of 4 cats I have) He is an indoor cat but we did the photo shoot outside so I wouldn't get any red eye. Those of you who have done portrait quilts, do you think this photo is a good candidate?

Oh my! Your animals are really gorgeous!! I think Tartan's suggestions are right on and can't wait to see what you do with the portraits! Woolybear is beautiful but I can't get over those shepherds! Just want to get my arms around them!

Pollytink 07-12-2015 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 7254627)
Since you're sharing pictures of your fur babies, I'll show mine. Here's Gus in all his glory..... always ready for a ride.

What a wonderful picture! Gus is indeed glorious....how did you get him to pose like that!!! He gets my hugs too!