Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it possible to baste, put the binding on, then machine quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/possible-baste-put-binding-then-machine-quilt-t14622.html)

Zen 12-20-2008 10:57 PM

Thanks for the explanation of what the birthing method is. I'm really quite partial to the binded look for quilts, though. :)

auntluc 12-20-2008 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zen
I've got another project I'm sewing tonight before bed, then tomorrow I have packing, kids to take care of, church, cleaning, and someone coming over for dinner who will stay until pretty much bedtime. And then, Monday morning, we leave to drive 8 hours to my inlaws, where I'll have the space in a semi clean garage to spray baste and to sew on binding if I have the time. But we'll be in a house filled with, oh, 10 adults, 2 teenagers, 3 toddlers/babies, and an almost potty trained puppy until Christmas.

Also, it's my first quilt and so I've only done a small amount of practice machine quilting. I'm not so worried about the free motion stuff, but there is a lot fused applique that I need to blanket stitch down (yeah, forgot to mention that earlier). So yeah, I think it'll take me some time and I'd rather not stress over it. Besides, as of a few weeks ago, my dad wasn't retiring until March, so it's his own fault that he decided to retire next week and now it's not going to be done.

Sounds like you have a pretty full schedule...good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Mplsgirl 12-21-2008 02:41 AM

Thank you for asking the question. I didn't think binding before quilting was possible. I have done the birthing method and love it.

Lynda in TN 12-21-2008 06:47 AM

OK, I am gonna take a chance of offending some quilters here. Have you considered tying the quilt? I have tied the ones I have made because I haven't had the guts to try machine quiilting and cannot do it by hand. It might not be your preferred method, but it would be faster.

Now, having stuck my foot in it, how do y'all feel, in general, about tying quilts?

MsSage 12-21-2008 06:48 AM

Thank you auntluc hmmmmm Binding has always terrified me LOL I figured it was something I was just gunna have to deal and cry and get mad and keep going ...I really like the birthing method. Can you do a double seam to give it the look of binding?

lfw045 12-21-2008 07:41 AM

I tie quilts all the time. I like to tie them inconspicously which is an art in itself........lol. I'm still working on a quilt I started this summer which I am hand quilting and sometimes wish now that I had tied it but it is done with oriental fabric and I wanted it to be special. It is over half done now.

The nice thing is there is not right and wrong way to finish a quilt.......tie it, hand quilt it, machine quilt it.......I truely feel that the quilt let's you know what it wants you to do........kind of zen like......hehehehehe

ragdoll 12-21-2008 07:50 AM

I like to use painters tape versus masking tape. It comes off easier.

Mplsgirl 12-21-2008 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lynda in TN
OK, I am gonna take a chance of offending some quilters here. Have you considered tying the quilt? I have tied the ones I have made because I haven't had the guts to try machine quiilting and cannot do it by hand. It might not be your preferred method, but it would be faster.

Now, having stuck my foot in it, how do y'all feel, in general, about tying quilts?

The quilts I birthed I tied. It still looks like a quilt to me!! Besides, I haven't done that much hand quilting and no machine quilting because I'm new at this, but don't we actually give "birth" to every quilt we make? Teehee

jacquemoe 12-21-2008 08:30 AM

Here are my thoughts. Finish the applique work first. I would make sure the backing is slighty larger than the top so you can trim and square it up after machine quilting. Spray basting works well enough so you shouldn't have to sew/baste it also.
Binding isn't as hard as you might think. Here's a lesson on binding, if you have time. Good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Trk6J2Vw

PamH 12-21-2008 12:09 PM

Sooo if you use the spray basting do you still pin, I've never used the spray.