Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it possible to have... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/possible-have-t58536.html)

ktyree 08-12-2010 02:29 AM

I have a large stash, and have nearly no time for serious quilting right now (homeschooling 4 kids, and babysitting a 2 yr old granddaughter 5 days a week). We also want to buy a house next year, and I realized that *sigh* 25 totes of fabric was too much- it does include flannel for kids pjs, and misc silky costume fabrics, but of course, mainly good old quilting cottons.I gave some away, and am selling the rest locally- keeping only my favorites, of course! Once you "divorce" yourself from the fabric, its very freeing to see it go.

jolo 08-12-2010 04:56 AM

I use my stash for lap robes , I send some to the Va with my son. The guys and gals dont care if it is red,white and blue or not . I send my scrappy ones and they love them.

homecaregiver 08-12-2010 05:04 AM

are you going to sell here on the site as well. I am looking for stash builders for my scraps
Patsy

dirty1mom 08-12-2010 05:31 AM

Big Stash? Yeah, I have one. Not as big as my mom's though! A lady in my Knit-Cro-Sew Club asked me to teach her to quilt. She has very little extra money for supplies right now. So tomorrow when we get together with another member of the club the fabric will appear from my stash. I am going to enjoy my fabric one way or the other. She gets to learn something new to her and I get to play with my fabric. And if anyone just insists on parting with their stash, it can come and live at my house. Someone will use it somewhere along the line.

grandma Janice 08-12-2010 05:38 AM

"in all things moderation" is my motto. It reminds me of that old saying "she that dies with the most material....dies anyway.

CRicart 08-12-2010 08:34 AM

I had a lot of "It was a good idea at the time" fabric that had not become quilts, mis matched,remnant, odd pieces etc. I got the pattern for "Little Dresses for Africa" online, and used a lot of them! The dresses were easy and look so cute, and I was able to work down my stash a bit.

zz-pd 08-12-2010 08:41 AM

I really don't have that problem, as I cant afford to by the fabric. God bless.

martyr 08-12-2010 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by homecaregiver
I'm here I am raising my hand and I could give it a good home
LOL I like to just look and feel and sometimes that is enough

I would agree. I read this about another stash item- yarn. " Why can't I just collect it. Other people collect things that they don't do anything with..." She put her pretty yarns out in baskets! I don't know if you could do that with fabric..but why not? The stores do it- so we'll buy it!! LOL.
Seriously though, I have been reading the articles about hoarders too and it's a little scary. 2 points that were made; were that they felt "things" could be trusted, not people. And many of them were depressed and anxious about other areas of their lives. I'm sure many of us can relate to "shopping therapy", but it really doesn't work. Things don't make you feel better. It's finding that balance - enough but not too much. Best wishes to all of us!!

everybody's mother 08-12-2010 11:16 AM

Yes, I've had the problem for years. It started watching my mom tear apart old clothes to make something for us kids to wear. Maybe that is why it is so hard to resist nice new fabric. I have in my life(75) bought so many yards!! Now I get my 'fix' by looking at it on the 'net. I do that until the word quilt make me sick! It fixes me for quite a spell. Maybe this can help someone. That and knowing, there is no way it will ever be sewn up by 'the buyer'. :) :)

buslady 08-12-2010 12:02 PM

I have a group of ladies that quilt on Monday nights. ALL of them, except me, had not sewn or anything in the past. I remember when we first started, the other employees here teased them about "getting old" because they were going to make a quilt. That was about 6 months ago. Now on Mondays, the first thing we do is look at all the "great pcs" each found over the weekend. These gals didn't know what a "stash" was, now they all have one!! every spare minute is spent talking, sharing and laughing. OCD? YES!