Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Possible Silly Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/possible-silly-question-t216051.html)

quiltmom04 03-12-2013 04:23 AM

Use the same ruler to cut all
the pieces in the project, so everything is measured against the same standard. I only use the lines on the mat as a GENERAL measurement, not to measure accurately. For example, if I need 2 1/8" for a binding, I measure with the ruler. If I need about a 2" piece for paper piecing, I can use the mat.

Pieces2 03-12-2013 05:13 AM

Rulers, rulers, and rulers. I use the 5 X 23 inch ruler to cut my strips. Then smaller rulers to subcut these strips into the pieces I need. After the block is pieced I use a square up ruler.

Morag 03-12-2013 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 5919793)
I use the lines on the matbto line up my fabric and ruler, if that makes sense.

Ditto on that...fabric edge on mat board line, then place ruler on fabric and line up..

yorkie luv 03-12-2013 06:16 AM

I used to use the lines on the mat, then I read to use the ruler. Since I started using the ruler my pieces are more accurate. I also use the June Tailor Perfect HST ruler to square the pieces. That has made a huge difference.

reginalovesfabric 03-12-2013 07:00 AM

God only makes perfect, things that are not perfect to you just put character in the quilts

littledentist 03-12-2013 10:35 AM

If you have a Bernina, I highly recommend the #57 foot with a guide on it. It's dreamy. And when you need to pin certain junctions, do it.

yorkie luv 03-12-2013 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by littledentist (Post 5923777)
If you have a Bernina, I highly recommend the #57 foot with a guide on it. It's dreamy. And when you need to pin certain junctions, do it.

But I suggest NOT changing anything midway through a project. :-) I had taped a seam guide to the bed of the machine, then I bought a foot with one attached, and there was a difference between the two.. So I am saving the foot for my next project.

cindypierce 03-12-2013 01:09 PM

I had to learn to Press not Iron. I ruined several quilt squares this way. Even if you cut perfectly(NOT ME) sew perfectly(STILL NOT ME) you can stretch or mess up your shape when you iron. Lesson learned. I didn't use to press or iron at all but it made a difference in a warm wishes quilt i tested it on. Then i ruined my first diamond star block. Hopefully I will do better. I learn so much here with so many great people teaching!!!

yorkie luv 03-12-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by cindypierce (Post 5924021)
I had to learn to Press not Iron. I ruined several quilt squares this way. Even if you cut perfectly(NOT ME) sew perfectly(STILL NOT ME) you can stretch or mess up your shape when you iron. Lesson learned. I didn't use to press or iron at all but it made a difference in a warm wishes quilt i tested it on. Then i ruined my first diamond star block. Hopefully I will do better. I learn so much here with so many great people teaching!!!

It is definitely a learning process. I am totally self taught, so I have made every mistake that can be made. But I heave 17 grandkids to give quilts to, and I see improvements with each one that I do.

penski 03-12-2013 07:44 PM

i use my cutting mat , and iuse it for all my cutting ,just like the comments above , it is what you are comfortable with and use it to measure everything !