Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Postage to America (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/postage-america-t77931.html)

Suziuki 11-21-2010 10:38 PM

It is currently 4.48pm in Adelaide on Monday 22nd November, 2010. I posted some fabric to a lady in Canada today, the lady in the post office said "Just as well your not sending it to America". Obvious questions "Why?". She tells me that as from today America has imposed a levy for Aviation Security on all parcels weighing 500grams or more being sent airmail by private individuals. I understand that this levy is not only for Australia,it is world wide. The levy here in Australia is $A9.00. The levy does not apply to businesses.
Will have to try and keep my mailings under 500grams.

Mrs B 11-22-2010 12:06 AM

Wow thanks for that information. I'm glad I posted my Secret Santa last week. Maybe we will have to think very carefully about swaps etc next year.Postage is already quite expensive from Australia.

lindyline 11-22-2010 12:07 AM

Wow, didn't know that. Will have to recalculate things now, and send in 2 parcels instead of just one. Thanks for the heads up.

Aussie Quilter 11-22-2010 12:43 AM

Looks like I'll have to rethink my Xmas parcel for US friends.
Tim Tams, Cherry Ripe's, and Violet Crumble's will definitely be out. Grrrrr!

I know it will take longer to get there, but maybe we could use Sea Mail for some mailings. Just a thought.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-22-2010 04:34 AM

Someone recently tried to mail a bomb in a printer from Yemen to a Jewish church in Chicago. I suppose this new fee is to try to stop such things. It's a shame that this stuff always ends up being a pain to honest people.

granny_59 11-22-2010 04:36 AM

I just recently found out that it is no longer allowed to send fooditems to the USA. No Chocolate...............unless you get a form for special permission in advance. They said it is because of biological terror hazard. Isnt this world crazy!?
I had to go over a swiss firm that is specialized in shipping chocolate and sweets overseas - the most expensive chocolate ever!
Granny

Suziuki 11-22-2010 04:44 AM

I was told the other day at the post office that sea mail from Australia to America will take two to three months. I decided to pay the $A5.00 difference between sea and air mail.

ptquilts 11-22-2010 05:01 AM

at least you can get sea mail, economy overseas shipping from US to anywhere is not available anymore. Everything HAS to go airmail.

KathyAire 11-22-2010 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Someone recently tried to mail a bomb in a printer from Yemen to a Jewish church in Chicago. I suppose this new fee is to try to stop such things. It's a shame that this stuff always ends up being a pain to honest people.

Honest people always suffer. The fee will not stop those that want to do harm.
God help us all.

cjomomma 11-22-2010 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter

Honest people always suffer. The fee will not stop those that want to do harm.
God help us all.

Kathy that is exactly what I was thinking!!