Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   potato bag fire! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/potato-bag-fire-t77011.html)

luvTooQuilt 11-17-2010 07:11 PM

My late MIL made mine.. I love it.. use it all the time, daughter loves baked ( ok well Micro) potatoes.. but then again my micro isn't a high wattage one either.. maybe that makes a difference?!?!?!?

amma 11-17-2010 07:17 PM

If the bag gets any oil/grease on it, that may cause even a 100% cotton bag to catch on fire :wink:
Also, I would hesitate to put more than 2 potatoes in the bag... any more and the bag gets really hot...

humbird 11-17-2010 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I just poke holes in the taters and wrap them up in a paper towel, never burned the house down yet........

But if you forget to poke the holes it will blow the door open!!

Billy

I do the same as Billy, but dampen the paper towel. No problems so far.

AlisaQuilts 11-17-2010 07:34 PM

I only had one potato in the bag. I've used it in my older microwave about five times with 2/3 in the bag with no problem. It may be the newer microwave was a higher voltage? not sure, as I have thrown it out and replaced it with the older one. LOL! I may have left it in the oven too long as well. I'm not going to make another one to find out :) better safe than sorry!

Originally Posted by amma
If the bag gets any oil/grease on it, that may cause even a 100% cotton bag to catch on fire :wink:
Also, I would hesitate to put more than 2 potatoes in the bag... any more and the bag gets really hot...

:thumbup:

bluteddi 11-17-2010 08:14 PM

I do mine the plain way... just stick em in ...DIL uses a plastic bag I think.. but I'm just don't it the plain way. Never had a tator sent back, so I guess it tasted good.

luckylindy333 11-17-2010 08:17 PM

Wow! I am so glad for the warning. I was thinking about making some of these for Christmas gifts!

tooMuchFabric 11-18-2010 04:14 AM

I never understood putting fabric into a microwave oven.
I just wrap my baking potatoes in paper towel, wet thoroughly, and bake in the microwave. When the paper is dry, the potato is done. Like 12 minutes or so for big potato.

candi 11-18-2010 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
I never understood putting fabric into a microwave oven.
I just wrap my baking potatoes in paper towel, wet thoroughly, and bake in the microwave. When the paper is dry, the potato is done. Like 12 minutes or so for big potato.

I am with you. I just poke holes in the potato after washing it and fill a glass of water and in the microwave they both go for 8-12 minutes depending on the size.

I am so sorry that happened to you, and thanks for the warning.

Ms Grace 11-18-2010 05:55 AM

That's scary.
Sorry it happened to you & the microwave.
Don't think I'll be making any.

mzsooz 11-18-2010 05:58 AM

Guess I won't be making any of these!

Did you know you can bake potatoes in the crockpot? Prick potatoes with fork and wrap in foil. Place in crock. Do not add water. cook 8-10 hours.