Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Potato Bags are just not worth it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/potato-bags-just-not-worth-t172151.html)

janceejan 12-15-2011 06:30 PM

We wrap ours in a kitchen towel after it comes out of the microwave. It drives the heat in to the middle and makes sure it gets really soft. Don't cook in the towel, DD did that, have a holey kitchen towel....

luvTooQuilt 12-15-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L (Post 4784784)
Well, I must be misinformed as I thought the purpose of the potato bags were to keep the potatoes warm while serving at the dinner table. I just poke a hole in each potato and set them in a bowl with a little bit of water to cook them in the microwave. Then...I would place them in the bag...if I had one, lol!

What an awesome idea !!! lol..

I have a few my late MIL made and we use them all the time..Cant tell ya what materials she used but so far all is A OK.... Ive probably used them a hundred times already.. But I have to admit, my potatoes are scrubbed to death and tossed in the bag soaking wet.. So my bag is more than slightly damp when it goes into our micro..

LivelyLady 12-15-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Iraxy (Post 4784454)
Wow, glad to hear this news. Actually, I roll a potato in a very wet paper towel after I poke some holes in it and zap it for 7-10 minutes depending on the size of the potato. It is perfect, fluffy, and delicious. Yum, could eat one right now!

That's how I do mine, too! Works like a charm!

deedum 12-15-2011 06:37 PM

I made a couple, haven't firgued out the excitement of them. When I have used mine, I noticed they start to have a burn smell to the microwave when they are done. No fires, or smoke or anything, potat tate good. My SIL raves about them. So we have the bag and seldom uses it.

Val in IN 12-15-2011 06:51 PM

Thank you for the warning! I'm so glad it wasn't a MUCH worse disaster than it was. I'll just stick to washing the potato, poke some holes in it, set it on a microwave safe plate with a little water on it and zap away.

SouthPStitches 12-15-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L (Post 4784784)
Well, I must be misinformed as I thought the purpose of the potato bags were to keep the potatoes warm while serving at the dinner table. I just poke a hole in each potato and set them in a bowl with a little bit of water to cook them in the microwave. Then...I would place them in the bag...if I had one, lol!

I was under the same impression Rose L. Don't have a potato bag but often I just tuck 1-2 microwaved potatoes in a clean oven mitt unitil I'm ready to plate the meal. Who knew?!

auntpiggylpn 12-15-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot (Post 4784755)
I know this is not going to be a very popular response, but the truth is truth, even if nobody believes it. ;)

These bags are dangerous. The fiber in batting and woven into the fabric is so fine that it is easily vaporized (a condition for combustion) and it does not contain enough moisture to prevent vaporization or extinguish combustion.

There, I said it. I'm a fire chief's daughter and I will probably still be acting like a fire chief's daughter the day I die. But, I won't die because I smoked in bed, plugged in a frayed cord, overloaded a circuit, used gasoline to start a barbecue or because I used a little quilt to cook my potatoes in. :D

I know this is a somewhat serious thread but you made me giggle a little bit!

Nanaquilts44 12-15-2011 07:21 PM

Thanks for this post. I bought one of those potato bags at a gift fair. I was going to give it to hubby as an extra little present as he loves to microwave his potatoes. I guess we can put the potatoes in the bag to keep them warm before we eat them as was suggested here! Thanks for this alert.

pippi65 12-15-2011 08:51 PM

I always wanted to make one of these...but think I will hold off!! The worse thing that happened in my microwave was my son putting one of his old "glow sticks" in it. It was supposed to make it "new" again. Well it exploded in the microwave and had the most horrible smell!!! Made my son wash it 4 times and then had him put out in the pick up pile. Now ladies PLEASE don't try this at home.

MaryMo 12-15-2011 08:58 PM

Thanks for posting this. I guess I can take this item off my to-do list. I wonder if the soup bowl holder (from tutorial) would do the same thing ..... Maybe I'll spend my time making mug rugs for last minute gifting.