Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Potato Bags are just not worth it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/potato-bags-just-not-worth-t172151.html)

Quilting Grandma 12-16-2011 07:36 PM

Interesting, I have a potato bag that I have used for 6 years without any problems.. It actually has a polyester batting in it. Go figure. I make them with 100% cotton and warm tater batting. They are great for warming rolls and cooking corn on the cob too. I have made 10 or 12 and no one has had any problem.

GagaSmith 12-16-2011 07:55 PM

Glad to know all of this. I just received one as a gift but don't know if I'll use it now. The fabric is so pretty I might just use it as a decor item in my kitchen.

Grandma Mary 12-16-2011 09:00 PM

I agree with Iraxy. We cook potatoes (with fork holes poked in them) in our microwave on a plate with paper towel over them, and they are DELICIOUS...no bag needed!

Originally Posted by Iraxy (Post 4784454)
Wow, glad to hear this news. Actually, I roll a potato in a very wet paper towel after I poke some holes in it and zap it for 7-10 minutes depending on the size of the potato. It is perfect, fluffy, and delicious. Yum, could eat one right now!

bignan 1935 12-17-2011 04:33 AM

I bought one 4 years ago. the bag was made with flannel for the batting. wash patato don,t poke it put it in microwave for three minutes or so and let it set a few minutes and cut a slit in protato and squash it and it fluffs. My ggs loves his and has been using the same one for about 5 years. You can tell a difference when its cooked in bag. bignan

Charleen DiSante 12-17-2011 05:20 AM

A good laugh picturing the dog taking off with it was my first reaction :) then I thought: wonder if there was a pin in the bag. Give me a damp paper towel or even just the naked potato. =sandrab64;4784515]I did use the Warm Tater batting as recommended which came in the kit. The dog took off with it so now I'll have to hunt down the 'smoking gun'! :) Oh well...nobody hurt and nothing major ruined![/QUOTE]

judi43 12-17-2011 05:23 AM

I used the Potatoe Bag batting to make a casserole cover & it help things stay warm with NO SMOKE!!

Rettie V. Grama 12-17-2011 05:33 AM

To me potato bags are messy to say the least. And as for washing them after they have been used, I can't afford to wash a potato bag and $1.00 a load for washing and $1.00 a load for drying. Save the space for necessaries.

Riversong 12-17-2011 05:39 AM

My personal opinion...potato bags are stupid...as for the microwave bowls,I didnt know they went in the microwave,,,I have made them for years before they even"came out" but I just use them to hold the hot bowl when you eat,they never go in the microwave.

dlong 12-17-2011 05:40 AM

That would be my idea as well. A potato keeps cooking after you take it out of the microwave for awhile. My mom cooked them for the recommended time then wrapped them in foil and let set for a few minutes before serving. They were just like ones cooked in the oven. I think the potato bag would work to keep them warm and finish cooking just like the foil did.

Originally Posted by Rose L (Post 4784784)
Well, I must be misinformed as I thought the purpose of the potato bags were to keep the potatoes warm while serving at the dinner table. I just poke a hole in each potato and set them in a bowl with a little bit of water to cook them in the microwave. Then...I would place them in the bag...if I had one, lol!

MAK'58 12-17-2011 05:56 AM

Me too Jacquie. Used to roll taters in paper towels, tater bag is so much easier. I too never use the tater button. Depending on size, I cook full power 3-5 minutes, rotate taters in the bag, and cook again til almost soft. Then remove from microwave and let them stay in bag until time to eat.