Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   potato bags (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/potato-bags-t63619.html)

Linda B 09-07-2010 08:17 PM

In what way do the bags make the potatoes better?

dharen7 09-08-2010 12:08 AM

when my sil and I go on our shop hop this weekend I'm going to get the corn material and make a couple of corn bags. We're gong to make them for Christmas

annette1952 09-08-2010 12:12 AM

From what I read different places & saw on a video is because you are not suppose to poke the potato. You wash them (don't dry) wrap in paper towel ( some say wet paper towel)& put in the bag. Well the moisture stays inside the potato making it fluffier. I'm going to make some & check them out.

Originally Posted by Linda B
In what way do the bags make the potatoes better?

wolfkitty 09-08-2010 12:23 AM

There is a batting made especially for these bags, that has no chemicals used in its preparation and it had no edge that may have been part of the problem. It is 100% cotton. I think it's called Warm Tatar?

SueDor 09-08-2010 02:21 AM

I never heard of potato bags until I got here.

Karyn 09-08-2010 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by minnow895
there was a post on here about potato bags catching fire aven with useing all cotten i tried it before washing the material it happened than i washed my material before making it and after sewing it the potato bag did not catch fire i think ti has to do with the chemicals they use when they make the material

I have never made a potato bag but can't help but wonder: don't they get soggy inside as the potato cooks? When I nuke a potato, i cut a slit in it with a knife, then slip it inside a ziplock sandwich bag. Seal it all the way across except the last inch. These are absolutely wonderful-so tender and moist.

Connie in CO 12-24-2010 07:13 AM

I asked my LQS owner,she say's why some catch fire is because of the microwave oven.Some don't have enough air vintalation,sorry about spelling.The hot air must exit out the back.

bakermom 12-24-2010 11:20 AM

They are more steamed than baked. kinda like the ones you would get in a restaurant-wrapprd in foil. when you poke and bake them "naked" either in the microwave or oven they bake and become a bit drier as the steam escapes. you pke them to keep them from exploding in your oven. doesn't happen often but when it does......

mzsooz 12-29-2010 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Karyn
I have never made a potato bag but can't help but wonder: don't they get soggy inside as the potato cooks? When I nuke a potato, i cut a slit in it with a knife, then slip it inside a ziplock sandwich bag. Seal it all the way across except the last inch. These are absolutely wonderful-so tender and moist.

Great idea! I will have to try this!

delcity66 05-13-2011 04:41 AM

Thanks for all the responses,Problem was this was not a new bag, have used it lots of times and the microwave is not new, Hope my microwave isn't causing the problem. To go along with this problem. if you are recharging batteries and it says do not leave unattended please pay attention. my son was recharging some batteries earlier this week and it caused a house fire. Caught early enough so mainly smoke and water damage. He was very lucky. Sharon in okc