Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Power rotary blade sharpener (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/power-rotary-blade-sharpener-t168768.html)

Drue 11-17-2011 07:11 PM

Power rotary blade sharpener

Has anyone used one of these Power Rotary Blade Sharpeners? I saw one advertised in Nancy's Notions catalogue and also in McCall's Quilting. I'm thinking that if they really do work, they might be worth the money. I go thru a lot of blades....seems like the blades don't last as long now as they used to a few years ago.

IrelandDragonQuilting 11-17-2011 07:15 PM

I have seen these advertised and have wondered myself, how well the work. It would be very nice to be able to sharpen blades and use them for longer.

Sadiemae 11-17-2011 07:16 PM

There have been posts in the past that said they work, but they are super, super LOUD.

Drue 11-17-2011 07:32 PM

I'd think they might be a little loud since they are grinding/sharpening on metal. Maybe I could use it in DH's shop. I'm sure there would also be the metal shavings/dust deposits and wouldn't want that in my sewing room either. I'm sure the blades would also have to cleaned or wiped off some so you wouldn't get oil and that black residue on your fabric.....but if they work well, it might be worth putting up with those inconviences????

Holice 11-17-2011 08:10 PM

You can buy a lot of Harbor Freight blades for the price of the power sharpener. I have one and have used it only a limited amount of time. It doesn't take the nicks out of the blade and to me gave only a limited amount of additional time on the blade. There has been several posts here about it and the responses were pro and con. Bottom line to most were that it is too expensive.

Prism99 11-17-2011 09:17 PM

Have you thought of buying blades in bulk on eBay? I've done that for a local non-profit and gotten some terrific deals that way. For me, that would be better than buying the sharpener.

leatheflea 11-18-2011 04:15 AM

I wish that someone would give a positive response to these for you, but I've never heard anything good about them. I too would love to extend the life of my blades , but with the research I've done it doesn't seem like that is going to happen. Harbor freight blades have to many negative responses also. Buying at Joann's with a 50% off and take special care of my blades seems to be the best answer for me.

Drue 11-18-2011 05:07 AM

Thanks again for your input to my querry. I was afraid this was all too goo to be true. I have also heard a lot of bad reviews on the Harbor Freight blades...Our HF stores are quite a ways from where we live and they don't even carry the blades. I did look at the ones on e-bay and have considered that.
I have the "manual rotary blade sharpener" and it's ok for a quick fix, but the edge doesn't last very long at all...but as I said previously, I don't think the quality of the blades is as good as it used to be...IMHO.
Thanks again QB friends....

CoyoteQuilts 11-18-2011 07:45 AM

Drue, If you are going through blades quicker now you may consider a new mat or turning your current mat over if possible. The self healing mats can get stuff stuck in the grooves when you cut and when you run over it that will put a nick in your blade.

I would also call that HF and ask them if they carry carpet blades. They don't have a clue what a rotary blade is because to them that is what they are called. I have yet to go into any HF store and not have carpet blades. The item number is 97642 and that may help them know what your are talking about.

btiny36 11-18-2011 09:09 AM

I have one that I bought I believe from Connecting Threads and I have to say, that so far I'm realllllly happy with my purchase. It it kinda loud, but for me it works. You just have to make sure, that the blade itself doesn't have any nicks in it.