Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Practice FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/practice-fmq-t227069.html)

Jackietellijohn60 08-01-2013 05:56 PM

Practice FMQ

Has anyone here bought special fabric that is appealing, sandwiched it, and practiced their FMQuilting by outlining the pattern. I thought if I approached it in this more disciplined manner, I would have a good learning experience and perhaps end up with a nice throw.

Other ideas? Opinions?

Cyn 08-01-2013 06:04 PM

I did that with a panel. I think it was good practice but I sure need a lot more of it!

EllieGirl 08-01-2013 06:10 PM

I didn't do it as practice, but bought a panel of fabric with a wine theme. It was rows of four windows with different wine bottles arrangements. I outlined every bottle in the panel to make a wall hanging. It's great practice!

Tartan 08-01-2013 06:45 PM

You can use a floral print fabric and outline quilt all the flowers to make pretty couch quilt. Many turn their practice pieces into practical things like pot holders, grocery bags, mats for animal cages at the Animal shelters etc. Some practice their FMQ over and over on the same sandwich but change the thread colour for each trial.

quiltyfeelings 08-01-2013 07:40 PM

I was told to practice long arming on fabric that matched my kitchen! The piece can be cut into placemat sizes and bound. Since you wash placemats a lot, you will "use" it up! When you try a new pattern, buy another piece of fabric and make more placemats!

cindi 08-02-2013 01:57 AM

I've done it with fabrics that have flowers, modern lines, zig-zags, loops, etc. It's a great way to practice. I've also quilted quilts from the back, using the pattern from the fabric on my backing material as my all-over quilting pattern. I've been pleasantly surprised how nice they look on the front when I do this!

dunster 08-02-2013 07:39 AM

It is good practice for following a line while FMQ, but following a line is actually a lot harder than making swirls and loops and leaves and other shapes. I would recommend starting your FMQ practice truly freehand, not following lines, until you're able to maneuver your fabric and get the stitches you want, then try following a line.

cindi 08-02-2013 02:57 PM

Another good tip I got when I took a class with Linda Taylor at a show was to freehand your name over and over again. It really helps you get the "feel" of your machine.

Hulalulu 08-03-2013 07:17 AM

This is a habit for me, practice a bit before every FMQ session. Keep scraps of battling cut about 24" square, use left over print or plain fabric depending on technique to be worked on -- look for sheets or pillowcases or even worn out clothing to use for the fabric. You can add new top (and bottom) sandwich fabric at least one or two times to this practice piece. Also use it for trial bindings. Had a sewing teacher tell me to learn to sew a straight line, get some stripped fabric and stitch the lines, so even good to practice a little stitch in ditch before working on your project.