Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   prairie point question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/prairie-point-question-t256137.html)

meyert 10-31-2014 02:26 PM

prairie point question

I have never done prairie points before, this will be my first quilt to put them on. I am going to make continuous prairie points. I did a sample run and they turned out pretty good, but apparently they are not the right size for my quilt, as when I get to the end of my quilt I am in the middle of one of the points.

How do you decide what width of the point so that you hit even on both ends of the quilts? Do I have to factor in the 1/4 seam allowance?

My plan is to have D4P center section of the quilt. Then I am going to sew on a 4" border - - I will sew the prairie points on to m center so they lay on the border. I like this look on quilts. But don't know what size to make the prairie points.

example - if my quilt center is 33" long when I sew on the border the center will be 32-1/2" Do I figure the 33" or the 32-1/2"? I am thinking I need to use the 32-1/2" but I a not sure. Is that correct?

Jackie Spencer 10-31-2014 02:30 PM

I start in the middle of one side, and work to the corner, then count them, so I will have the same number on the opposite side.

dakotamaid 10-31-2014 04:30 PM

Some times you have to fudge a bit. Squeeze or stretch out the fabric. I can usually handle 1/4 inch leeway.

Jan in VA 10-31-2014 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Could you do it like this?

Jan in VA

Oops, so small! Sorry. :(

lynnie 10-31-2014 07:01 PM

I just alter a bit, no one notices 1/8 - 1/4" off

citruscountyquilter 10-31-2014 07:02 PM

I have never done continuous prairie but rather made them individually. By making them individually you can move each one a smidgen to make them fit and the slightly uneven amount is not noticeable if the difference isn't too much.

GrannieAnnie 10-31-2014 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by meyert (Post 6951257)
I have never done prairie points before, this will be my first quilt to put them on. I am going to make continuous prairie points. I did a sample run and they turned out pretty good, but apparently they are not the right size for my quilt, as when I get to the end of my quilt I am in the middle of one of the points.

How do you decide what width of the point so that you hit even on both ends of the quilts? Do I have to factor in the 1/4 seam allowance?

My plan is to have D4P center section of the quilt. Then I am going to sew on a 4" border - - I will sew the prairie points on to m center so they lay on the border. I like this look on quilts. But don't know what size to make the prairie points.

example - if my quilt center is 33" long when I sew on the border the center will be 32-1/2" Do I figure the 33" or the 32-1/2"? I am thinking I need to use the 32-1/2" but I a not sure. Is that correct?

I make them any size, then pin them in, adjusting the space between in case of.............

meyert 10-31-2014 07:35 PM

Thank you for your thoughts... I will have to fudge to make it work. Jan in VA - I l like your corner idea, I will have to see about trying that out

GailG 10-31-2014 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by meyert (Post 6951495)
Thank you for your thoughts... I will have to fudge to make it work. Jan in VA - I l like your corner idea, I will have to see about trying that out

Well, meyert, is that Jenny I see with you in your avatar?

I have only done prairie points as a binding once and learned from it. Of course, I winged it about the spacing but if I had to do it again, I would put them closer ( with a little more overlap) next time. I had a few points that left a tiny bare space.

ube quilting 11-01-2014 04:41 AM

I like making prairie points individually, mostly because I like making them but also because I can adjust them better to fit. I am not an exacting kind of quilter so trying to make continuous prairie points was difficult for me to keep the center clipped to the perfect spot so they would fold properly.:D I can fudge a square easier and any off perfect edges are hidden in the seam. It works for me.

Jan, I like your idea, so I may have to give the technique another try. TFS
peace