Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   pre wash oops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-wash-oops-t265506.html)

mojo11 05-25-2015 05:09 AM

I pre-wash all my fabrics, not only to make sure they don't bleed, but to get the chemicals and smells out.

bearisgray 05-26-2015 08:06 AM

I started out - years ago - just washing my fabrics in warm water
Then i had a bleed with a solid maroon when I washed that quilt.

NOW -

If the piece is big enough to warrant it, I overcast the raw edges before it hits water
Soak it (like colors) in hot water - a bucket, sink, kettle, bowl - whatever will hold it but not use a zillion gallons of water
Let it set until the water cools down - or i get back to it -
Wash - gently - in cold to warm water -
Dry - if at home, in the dryer - when away - on a line - When line drying, I fold the "good" side in and line up the selvages so that it will dry "straight"

I feel that agitation is what makes new fabric look worn/used -so I try to keep that to a minimum.

As I've said before - something I've made will probably come through most washings not too much worse for wear - UNLESS the washer is compulsive about bleach (NO NO NO NO NO) or setting it on a LOOOOONNNNGGG cycle, or washing it three times a week. (Super frequent washings only make sense to me if something liquid has come in contact with it.)

bearisgray 05-26-2015 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7205750)
I only pre-wash if I find ANY color rubbing off when rubbed with white paper--what I was told to do by a LQS owner. So far it has worked fine. And since I test all fabric, I'm always amazed what fabric bleeds and which don't! Think we all expect the dark reds/purples/etc to bleed, but always blown away when a neutral with just a little red or blue bleeds!

I had a Kaufmann or Hoffman with a bland background and red flowers - that water turned blood red when the fabric hit the water.I was very surprised!!

caspharm 05-26-2015 08:16 AM

I never prewash, but always wash before giving a quilt. I have a great recipe that I found here (recipe to keep colors from running). It works well and I use a lot of batiks.

SewSewGal 06-02-2015 12:47 PM

I had never pre washed my fabrics. Saying that I just did a lap quilt as a gift and wahed it and laid it to dry and the maroon batik started bleeding. Had to wah it twice before it stopped bleeding. Lesson learned

caspharm 06-02-2015 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by caspharm (Post 7207427)
I never prewash, but always wash before giving a quilt. I have a great recipe that I found here (recipe to keep colors from running). It works well and I use a lot of batiks.

Just adding a note: I meant "recipe to keep colors from running" is a thread here on the board.

Bibliogirl 06-03-2015 01:51 PM

I wash fabric that I suspect may bleed--black, red, maroon, dark blue, etc.--with a little bit of vinegar in the water. I should say I soak the fabric, I don't agitate, then move the machine dial to spin then rinse without agitation and hang to dry. I have made the mistake of cutting the pieces for a pattern before I washed dark colors and had a real mess, especially with charm sizes!

SewExtremeSeams 06-09-2015 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 7205628)
Raising my hand... I prewash in hot water with a warm rinse and then dry on high heat because I want maximum shrinking before I start to cut out a quilt. Besides, there's no guarantee at all that the finished quilt will be washed in cold water by a new owner even if you (strongly) suggest that's how they should care for it.

If my batiks are still losing dye after two (gentle) cycles, I add Retayne to set any remaining loose dyes. It's never failed me. There's no way I would ever stop using batiks. :)

Me too! I have been doing this for years. My fingers can't handle the chemicals on the fabrics.

HouseDragon 06-09-2015 02:30 PM

I always prewash in hot water. I've never had too many problems with batiks.

But as I've mentioned before, the WORST bleeder was a dark green check. It bled all over the other greens in the wash load: that's when I'd just read about Colour Catchers on this board. After a trip to WallyWorld and another couple of washes, the catchers saved the day.

And the "dark" green check turned out to be a light green check once the excess dye washed out. I keep it above the laundry table as a reminder.
:mad: