Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pre-washing with color catcher (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-washing-color-catcher-t233796.html)

DJ 11-01-2013 05:36 PM

Pre-washing with color catcher

I bought some red fabric from Joanns the other day and have been prewashing it with color catcher before putting it in a Christmas tree skirt with white fabric. I've washed it about 6 times now, and the color catcher is still turning pink. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Nammie to 7 11-01-2013 05:43 PM

Did you use Retayne?

PaperPrincess 11-01-2013 05:44 PM

You can try using Retayne, which will set the dye. Is it for you? If it is a tree skirt, and I was going to keep it, it probably wouldn't get laundered :o! My tree is in a south window, and I think it would fade before it really got dirty enough to wash. You can always send it to a dry cleaner.

DJ 11-01-2013 05:57 PM

It's for my DD, and I would want her to be able to wash it. I'll look into Retayne. Thanks!

Prism99 11-01-2013 06:54 PM

If it still bleeds after two go-rounds with Retayne, it's probably better used for something else. One thing to be aware of; not all whites will pick up color. Try dampening a piece of the white fabric you will be using and rub it against the red. If it doesn't pick up color, the whole bleeding thing may be a non-issue. To make sure you could throw in a piece of the white fabric and wash it with the red. (I would do that after the Retayne to make sure that there will be no color transfer later.)

toverly 11-02-2013 04:49 AM

I have had red fabric that has done that. I used it in a red/dark green pattern table topper. To this day, the red loses it's dye. I never tried the Retayne but, I did try Blue Dawn. Since it doesn't affect the pattern, there is no white with it, I just let it bleed.

Lauray 11-02-2013 05:26 AM

I have a question - if you wash with Retayne to set the color, then do you subsequently need to wash with color catchers?

knlsmith 11-02-2013 05:29 AM

Retayne to set, a lot of people use it for prewashing. Synthropal keeps the loose dye in the wash from setting back on the fabric, a lot of people (myself included) use this on finished projects. Hope this helps. But sometimes red just won't cooperate no matter what you try. I also agree, if it is still bad, try a different fabric.

ManiacQuilter2 11-02-2013 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 6382067)
I have had red fabric that has done that. I used it in a red/dark green pattern table topper. To this day, the red loses it's dye. I never tried the Retayne but, I did try Blue Dawn. Since it doesn't affect the pattern, there is no white with it, I just let it bleed.

I had the same thing happen to me with placemats. The white is not the same bright shade but that was long before there were color catchers and Retayne!!

mighty 11-02-2013 07:15 AM

I would try the Retayne, and then use color catchers when you need to wash it.