Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   PRE-WASHING FABRIC (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pre-washing-fabric-t145153.html)

kacklebird 08-14-2011 02:19 PM

Hi,

I was reading a few posts where some of the members say that they don't pre-wash their fabrics. Wouldn't washing it and drying it beforehand prevent it from shrinking? I would fear when I washed and dried the quilt for the first time it would shrink and the quilt would be all out of shape.

katier825 08-14-2011 02:23 PM

Normally I am a pre-washer because of my allergies. When I work with precut fabrics, I don't prewash. I recently completed a quilt that was made from a layer cake that was not prewashed. When it was finished and I washed the quilt, it came out awesome! So soft and crinkly how I like them. I was very pleased. It was LQS quality fabric, not sure if that makes a difference. Some of my older stash seems to shrink more than the newer better quality fabric I have.

GingerK 08-14-2011 02:27 PM

I am a washer. I have never used charm packs or layer cakes because I can't wash it first. I have seem too many fabrics bleed and run--especially the 100% cottons--plus the shrink factor, which you mentioned. I just do not want to put so much money, time and effort into something that will be ruined in the first wash. And since I rarely make wall hangings, I expect my quilts to be used, abused and washed.

kiffie2413 08-14-2011 02:34 PM

I usually don't pre-wash if I buy the fabric from my lqs, or if it is pre-cut...unless there is a noticeable odor, or a bold color, such as red. I do pre-wash if I am not sure where it is from ( like from estate or garage sale, etc...). I also pre-wash flannels, as have been told they do shrink, and it would be a big deal...
I also agree with katier825, I love the quilts after washing-soft and crinkly...gives them the vintage look and feel...

rwquilts 08-14-2011 02:43 PM

I have been on both sides of this issue. I started out pre-washing and then from the advice of the quilt store I loved, I stopped, and had that nice old crinkly feel and look that I love...but most people on the board here in their swaps and such require pre-washing, so I started washing again, and am in that mode currently! I think it's a "Chevy/Ford" kind of thing...

Lilrain 08-14-2011 02:44 PM

I usually prewash. The reason being is that I have had a couple of problems myself and seen others with much bigger problems from not prewashing.

If something bad is going to happen with the fabric, I would much prefer it happened before I put many many hours into the quilt.

If I am using cotton batting I preshrink it also. I do not want to give a quilt to someone and have them think they did something wrong when they wash it and it is puckery. I am one of those that does not like that look.

hopetoquilt 08-14-2011 02:56 PM

I PREWASH: batiks, reds, blacks, deep colors, larger pieces of fabrics, anything I am giving away... so almost all of my fabrics.

I DON'T PREWASH: panels, precuts (both rarely purchased)

I don't know where the fabric has been or if it will shrink unevenly or bleed.

Originally I didn't prewash but on the advice of others, I have changed my ways.

Chele 08-14-2011 03:23 PM

It's an age old quilter's question. Love the Chevy/Ford reference! Do what makes it fun for you. There are successful quilters on both sides of the fence.

cherylynne 08-14-2011 03:29 PM

I prewash very few pieces of my fabric. If it seems to be poorer quality, I might put it in the washer and dryer. When I wash the quilt everything seems to look nice and square. Crinkly, but that's how I like my quilts.

SherriB 08-14-2011 03:42 PM

I seldom pre-wash my fabrics. I also like the crinkly look I get when I don't pre-wash. But if I am afraid the color will bleed, I do pre-wash and try to prevent further bleeding of color.