Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preemie Blanket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preemie-blanket-t114122.html)

frugalfabrics 04-06-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Hi, I am making preemie blankets...my sister is a NICU nurse. The ones I'm making are 18x24 finished. She is a transport nurse and they don't need all the extra fabric to deal with. Being rectangle fits their little bodies better.

She also told me not to use "blue" because it distorts the baby's coloring. She showed me some prints at Hancocks that would work well. Mostly neutral background with spaced tiny designs. Also she recommended the cuddly cotton flannel because it helped keep the heat in their little bodies..

Thanks for the info - I was thinking of getting flannel for the smallest size - I'll make sure to look for the cuddly cotton flannel.

Airwick156 04-06-2011 07:33 PM

I have a lady that goes to my sewing group on tuesdays that makes blankets for NICU in a hospital down in San Diego and works on them all year long and then in the springtime, her and her husband load up their fifth wheel and hand deliver them. This past year they delivered I believe she said 130.

She cuts polar fleece into 30" X 30" pieces and hand sews coordinating cotton binding onto them. This last bunch she made, her sister used a machine and embroidered little animals on one corner such as bunnies, teddy bears, ducklings etc.

This bunch that she is making now is also done with polar fleece and she is crocheting binding on to them. And OH MY GOSH are these ones adorable.

But I would contact the hospital and see if they want them a certain size. The ones my friend does, are used to cover the incubators and isolettes and then eventually when the baby goes home, so does the blanket. :))

Deb watkins 04-06-2011 07:49 PM

The ones I do are 24 x 24. This is the size that my NICU nurse requested.

frugalfabrics 04-06-2011 08:07 PM

thank you all.

cheryl rearick 04-06-2011 08:28 PM

(smile) I was looking all over for Debbie's last name (Walkins) The lady who makes preemie blankets. Most preemies do not come home till they weigh in at about 5 pounds at least. By they they are actually getting a little meat. My grandson was 1 lb. 4 oz. in NICU for 5 months. We were able to buy preemie clothes I think the last month and go into a sitting room. AND dress him in clothes we brought. It was fun. All day every Sat. and Sun. so wonderful to just hold and love on him... The blanket he received in NICU was a pretty good size blacket, to cover the isolet (sp) That was a hard time in our life and yet God gave us hope, just by giving us another day, then another he is not 17 years old. (((hugs))) re: journey for the parents and family of this 1 lb. 6 oz. baby.... It does not end at the hospital.... lots of momitors, and still a very delicate child usually. AND so so so loveable. :)

AliKat 04-06-2011 09:24 PM

The quilts we do with one of my groups for the NICU are anywhere from 12" square to 24" square. Anything bigger might be too big for the little one. You can always make some in graduated sizes.

ali

frugalfabrics 04-07-2011 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
(smile) I was looking all over for Debbie's last name (Walkins) The lady who makes preemie blankets. Most preemies do not come home till they weigh in at about 5 pounds at least. By they they are actually getting a little meat. My grandson was 1 lb. 4 oz. in NICU for 5 months. We were able to buy preemie clothes I think the last month and go into a sitting room. AND dress him in clothes we brought. It was fun. All day every Sat. and Sun. so wonderful to just hold and love on him... The blanket he received in NICU was a pretty good size blacket, to cover the isolet (sp) That was a hard time in our life and yet God gave us hope, just by giving us another day, then another he is not 17 years old. (((hugs))) re: journey for the parents and family of this 1 lb. 6 oz. baby.... It does not end at the hospital.... lots of momitors, and still a very delicate child usually. AND so so so loveable. :)

Thank you for your words of encouragement - as far as we know, he will be in the hospital until July, which would have been his due date.