Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preferred width of Binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preferred-width-binding-t168905.html)

Janet My 11-20-2011 08:36 AM

I use 2 1/2" I don't hand sew it on.... I machine stitch my binding on the back.... fold it over to the front and use one on my decorative stitches on my Bernina to sew it down. Looks good. I envy you all that hand stitch their bindings on... my hand sewing if for the birds. Once that quilt it finished... I just got to get it done.

Just Me... 11-20-2011 08:41 AM

If you have a thicker, puffier batting you would need a little wider. OR, if you are using flannel, sometimes you would need it a little wider. Some like to have big-wide binding. There was an old Thimbleberries pattern where she cut it at 3 or 3 1/2"....I forget which, because she wanted to have a wider binding. Not for me....

zkosh 11-20-2011 09:07 AM

Iamcatowned,
Thanks for the great response explaining some of the reasons for the variations in binding width. That explains why I have been unhappy with the 2 1/2 in. binding on a couple of my quilts. The narrower binding on a flatter quilt seems much nicer to me so the problem is solved (for me).

dglvr 11-20-2011 09:09 AM

I usually use the 2 1/4" too. Only because thats what the lady taught me when I was learning to do them. I did follow a few pattern directions to do it 2 1/2" but prefer 2 1/4".

Candace 11-20-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 4695306)
I have lots of books by Lynette Jensen and she says to cut binding strips at 2-1/2" and sew on with a 3/8" seam. So this is how I make mine and I like it. They are not any bigger because you use a 3/8" seam allowance. I have made lots of quilts like this. Different strokes for different folks, like everything else, it is what you like.

This is exactly how I do mine. I use the 3/8" edge of my walking foot. Easy peasy.

Karenowc 11-20-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 4695306)
I have lots of books by Lynette Jensen and she says to cut binding strips at 2-1/2" and sew on with a 3/8" seam. So this is how I make mine and I like it. They are not any bigger because you use a 3/8" seam allowance. I have made lots of quilts like this. Different strokes for different folks, like everything else, it is what you like.

I think I am going to try this (the 3/8" seam). It would make the binding very full (which I tend to like). Thanks for sharing that.
Karen

dmyers 11-20-2011 10:17 AM

I make a lot if quilts with minkee so i like a 2.5" binding also sew it by machine

Painiacs 11-20-2011 10:53 AM

Wow! Interesting! I use 2 1/2". I tried smaller but found it hard to turn!!

IdahoSandy 11-20-2011 10:57 AM

I use 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 inch because I use a low loft batting and the smaller size works well on place mats and crib quilts.
I also cut off the excess batting, so no batting is sticking out of my quilts. Thinking that some use this excess batting as part they cover with the binding. Try it in different widths, then decide which you prefer.

Alondra 11-20-2011 11:04 AM

Well, folks, you've done it again. I've learned so much from all of your comments, and I thank you for taking the time to post answers to this question. Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart. :)