Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   premie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/premie-t109649.html)

pjaco 03-22-2011 04:29 AM

Any suggestions for a premie of 3.5 lbs, 16 inches long, how big should I make the quilt??

patty48 03-22-2011 04:33 AM

All depends if it's a "for now" quilt, or a "forever quilt". I always try for the "forever quilt", at least a single bed size.

emsgranny 03-22-2011 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by pjaco
Any suggestions for a premie of 3.5 lbs, 16 inches long, how big should I make the quilt??

Is this your grandbaby or your baby? Congrats!!

My first grandchild was a preemie and weighed 3lb when she was born

As far as a quilt size I suggest making it regular size-Baby or maybe a little larger will grow into it in no time!!! If you make it a little larger than crib size it can be used on a toddler bed so at least they can use it until they are about 3! It also shows that there is a positive attitude that all willl be okay. If the baby is like ours, it will be in the hospital until around 5 pounds.

If you want to make something that can be used at the hospital be sure to check with staff-sometimes they wont let you bring blankets. If you can bring one I would just make something about the weight of a receiving blanket and maybe a little smaller. The little ones need to be wrapped up usually (depending on what type of tubes etc it needs and if they are in a warmer) If you make it the weight of a quilt, It will be hard to find the little one in it!!! I found our little DGD hard to hold because of her tiny size even in the receiving blankets Our DGD had a temperature regulation problem where she couldnt be wrapped too tight or with anything too heavy or she would spike a fever. Each baby needs are differnet.

Dont know all the circumstances, but I hope this helped. Best of luck to the little one and our prayers are with it to to fed and grow!! Keep us posted!!! Cheryl :-)

mythreesuns 03-22-2011 05:12 AM

Most infants in the Neo Natal Unit are not even wrapped in blankets. Because of all the wires, etc..and it lets them do things faster in an emergency. Being a mother of two premie's at different times. One being the same exact size of your premie. My two never had blankets on them. When they came home, they did not like the weight of a heavy blanket on, because they were use to sleeping with no blankets. So make the blanket a light weight type and I would just do a crib one to start with because of that factor. The longer they stay in the NICU, the more they get use to sleeping with no blankets. Our first one was only a month, the second one was 4 months.

pjaco 03-22-2011 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, Cheryl. It is for a new great niece, born 3-18. Used a large twister tool (couldn't wait to use it) and made a small one, although I ran out of fabric, so just pieced the rest with the scraps. It was fabric that was my Mothers, old holly hobbie and some bright green with white daisies. Maybe I'll finish it today.

I know they're big, but I wanted to see the holly hobby.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173233[/ATTACH]

Chickerson 03-22-2011 05:16 AM

a few of my grandchildren were very premie - the Neo unit had strick rules and even fabric types and batting that they would permit on the unit. Before you make one see if there are restrictions. The grandbabies had nothing on them in the unit as they got a little older (one was on unit for 3 months and one for 7 months) they were able to have clothing and a blanket to be held in but not on them in the bed. I'll send up a prayer for your little one.

quiltmaker 03-22-2011 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by pjaco
Thank you, Cheryl. It is for a new great niece, born 3-18. Used a large twister tool (couldn't wait to use it) and made a small one, although I ran out of fabric, so just pieced the rest with the scraps. It was fabric that was my Mothers, old holly hobbie and some bright green with white daisies. Maybe I'll finish it today.

That's a darling quilt and will surely get a lot of use in the future. I'm sure the new mom will love it. The advice from premie moms would be the way I'd go for now. Congratulations!