Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Preparing a washed quilt for a show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/preparing-washed-quilt-show-t305307.html)

Rebecca_S 06-18-2019 04:58 PM

Preparing a washed quilt for a show

I pieced a quilt that my mother hand quilted, and because of the way it was marked it needed to be washed. Plus I generally like to wash finished quilts to get out the starch, oils and cat fur. Now I am thinking of entering it into a local fair. Are there any suggestions for the best way to prep a washed quilt for show?

Tartan 06-18-2019 05:51 PM

I like to wash a quilt and put it in the dryer until just damp. I will then spread a clean white sheet on the spare room carpet and block the quilt out flat. I put in some rust proof pins through the quilt and into the carpet to block it square and flat and wait for it to completely dry.

Peckish 06-18-2019 06:12 PM

What Tartan said. If you're experiencing cooler weather, maybe add a fan to aid the drying process.

maryb119 06-18-2019 06:14 PM

I have washed quilts on gentle cycle and then hung them on a clothes line to dry.

KalamaQuilts 06-19-2019 05:17 AM

I do what Rebecca does also.

Rebecca_S 06-19-2019 05:44 AM

Thank you! That sounds fairly simple and easy.

Onebyone 06-19-2019 06:29 AM

I wash on gentle cycle and then dry in dryer for all my quilts even the ones I enter in local shows. I have several 1st place ribbons, a Best in Show ribbon, and several Viewer's Choice ribbons from shows so it works for me. I got one 2nd place ribbon because there was a smudge of dirt on the quilt of course on a white fabric piece. LOL

ppquilter 06-19-2019 08:19 AM

Is there any rules about washed/unwashed in a quilt show? I have a pet free/smoke free house and always wait till quilt is all done and bound before washing. But I have never entered any of my quilts into any fair or quilt show, but thinking about it this year.

rryder 06-19-2019 11:02 AM

I don't wash quilts before entering them into a show. Instead, if they need to have markings removed I use a spray bottle of water since I only use water soluble markers, soap slivers, or chalk depending on lightness or darkness of the fabric. I block all my quilts before sending them out by pinning up on my design wall then spraying with water until wet and re- positioning the quilt and re-pinning as needed to get it completely flat and square.

I also go over both top and back with one of those lint rollers before sending any quilts out to shows.

Rob

Peckish 06-19-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ppquilter (Post 8267404)
Is there any rules about washed/unwashed in a quilt show?

It depends on the show; each show has their own rules and you should read them thoroughly before entering.

Having said that, however, I don't think I have ever found a show that had a specific rule about whether quilts should be washed or unwashed. You want your quilt to look its best, of course, and I think most people think unwashed quilts look and hang better for show than washed, crinkly quilts.